Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-KY) to step down as Leader [2/28/2024]

Wow.

Moderating: Normally, we like more than just a link and an almost nothing OP, but this one seems to speak for itself. (to cut off any flags about this.)

Wow indeed.

Wow indeed.

Who is up for leader after him?

I suspect we’re about to learn.

My money is on John Thune.

A Rat, fleeing a sinking ship. :poop:

Thirding the WOW. Not till November, though, so he won’t even be presiding over the lame-duck session till the inauguration. Will the Senate GOP pick a new leader for that period? If so, who’s a likely candidate?

I remembered seeing an article discussing that.

Their take was…

I want to say nice things about ol’ Mitch, but … none comes immediately to mind.

Even fewer come to mind when it comes to Cornyn, who would be one of the worst, nastiest hardliners they could put in that position.

Which no doubt is why they’ll settle on him.

Let’s hope that his successor continues to be a minority leader, not a majority leader.

Given that the big news, yesterday, was that Trump was trying to hit him up for an endorsement, I’d say that the man is setting a pretty clear signal in favor of America and the Constitution.

Personally, I applaud you Mr. McConnell. :clap:

Given his clear health issues this is undoubtedly the best decision. Pretty shocked he recognized it since giving up that type of power is fairly unusual.

I wonder if this means that McConnell thinks Trump is going to win and will rather not deal with him. Or if he thinks that no matter who wins the presidency in 2024, the Dems will keep the Senate and being minority leader really sucks.

I assume that they will chose their next leader well before McConnell actually steps down. They can’t afford not to have one, even during a lame duck, as there’s likely to be big decisions that will be kicked down the road until after the election.

It feels a tad charitable, to me, to refer to McConnell saying nothing on the subject whatsoever as a “pretty clear signal.”

But I give the man his final eight months in the position to find his personal profile in courage before he turns in his hard pass tiara.

And, yeah: his health has to be the overwhelming driver of timing, here. He may well have maintained that his episodes were “nothing” and that he was “fine,” but not a soul on Earth believed him.

Mitch’s current term doesn’t end until 2027. He’s not retiring, just stepping down as leader. So he will still be there, screwing things up. I’d rather he retire completely, but that’s a big ask.

I heard them talking about Mitch McConnell in the past tense on MSNBC, and I figured he died.
Damn. Maybe next time.

It’s about time. Were it not for Mitch McConnell protecting Trump, we would not be in the mess we’re in now.

I wouldn’t bet on him serving out the remainder of his Senate term in its entirety, though.

From your keyboard to Og’s hearing orifices.