Senate bill s. 2433 the global poverty act

My Republican sister sent me this email this morning and called me later, asking me what I thought about Obama now, referring, of course, to the bill in question. I have no opinion since I no nothing about it. And so I turn to you, the SDMB members to clue me in. The text of the email follows:

SENATE BILL S. 2433 THE GLOBAL POVERTY ACT

According to David Bossie, President of the group ‘Citizens United for American Sovereignty’ , based out of Merrifield Virginia , website: http://www.citizens united.org/ <http://www.citizensunited.org/&gt; the above- mentioned Senate Bill (S. 2433) is a piece of legislation in the works that all Americans need to know about and know now!

This bill, sponsored by none other than Sen. Barack Obama, with the backing of Joe Biden on the Foreign Relations Committee, and liberal democrats in Congress, is nothing short of a massive giveaway of American wealth around the world, and a betrayal of the public trust, because, if passed, this bill would give over many aspects of our sovereignty to the United Nations.

The noble sounding name of thi s bill, ‘The Global Poverty Act’ is actually a Global Tax, payable to the United Nations, that will be required of all American taxpayers. If passed in the Senate, the House has already passed it, this bill would require the U.S. to increase our foreign aid by $65 BILLION per year, or $845 BILLION over the next 13 years! That’s on top of the billions of dollars in foreign aid we already pay out!

In addition to the economic burdens this potential law would place on our precarious economy, the bill, if passed in the Senate, would also endanger our constitutionally protected rights and freedoms by obligating us to meet certain United Nations mandates.

According to Senator Obama, we should establish these United Nations’ goals as benchmarks for U…S. spending. What are they?

n The creation of a U.N. International Criminal Court having the power to try and convict American citizens and soldiers without any protection from the U.S. Constitution.

n A standing United Nations Army forcing U.S. soldiers to serve under U.N. command.

n A Gun Ban on all small arms and light weapons --which would repeal our Second Amendment right to bear arms.

n The ratification of the ’ Kyoto ’ global warming treaty and numerous other anti-American measures.

Recently, the Senate Subcommittee on Foreign Relations (where Sen. Joe Biden sits) approved this plan by a voice vote without any discussion! Why all the secrecy? If Senators Obama and Biden are so proud of this legislation, then why don’t they bring it out into the light of day and let the American people have a look at it instead of hiding it behind closed doors and sneaking it through Congress for late night votes.

It may be only a matter of time before this dangerous legislation reaches a floor vote in the full body of the Senate

Please write or call, email your representatives, the White House, the media, or anyone you think will listen, and express your opinions regarding this Global Tax giveaway and betrayal of the American people at a time when our nation and our people are already heavily burdened with the threats to our freedoms and economic prosperity.

Please send this email to as many folks out there in your networks as you can. And ASAP! Thank you.

CONTACT YOUR ELECTED OFFICIALS. A LOT OF THEM ARE NOT FAMILIAR WITH THIS SENATE BILL 2433. REQUEST THEY STOP THIS BILL FROM BEING PASSED. SEND THEM A COPY OF THIS BILL. LET THEM KNOW THAT WE ARE NOT GOING TO BE DESTROYED BY THIS TYPE OF BILL. MANY OF US WILL GO DOWN FIGHTING BEFORE WE SURRENDER OUR FIRE ARMS. THIS IS ONLY THE BEGINNING, THERE IS MORE TO COME FROM OBAMA AND BIDEN ALONG WITH THE CFR AND THE UNITED NATIONS. YOU WANTED CHANGE…NOW YOUR GOING TO GET IT, IF WE DO NOT STAND UP FOR OUR RIGHTS AS AMERICANS. HOW MUCH LONGER WE CAN, DEPENDS ON THE PEOPLE BEFORE WE BECOME PRISONERS WITHIN OUR OWN COUNTRY.

I apologize for the length of the thing. I did search for previous threads but had no luck.

I appreciate any input.

Total bullshit. The complete text of the bill is here. All it calls for is the development of a strategy. No monetary figures are mentioned, nor is there any reference to global courts or gun control that I can see.

This is a bill that would implement every right-wing nutball’s NWO United Nations One World Government Black Helicopter fantasies. Just by coincidence, it is supported by the first Black Muslim Islamic Terrorist-Fist-Jabbing President and all of his Liberal Democrats in Congress. This massive realignment has been utterly ignored by the Liberal Media, leaving it up to the final free press, Right Wing E-Mail Chains, to alert the populace.

I think the Democrats would at least get a few kleenex before giving the lunatic fringe such a huge handjob.

The other link timed out. Here’s a good one. Read through the full text: It’s short and to no real point whatsoever. It doesn’t actually do anything (that’s the beauty of it).

I disagree that it doesn’t do anything. It clearly states a mandate to develope and IMPLEMENT a strategy to eleminate extreme global poverty:

**Global Poverty Act of 2007 - Directs the President, through the Secretary of State, to develop and implement a comprehensive strategy to further the U.S. foreign policy objective of promoting the reduction of global poverty, the elimination of extreme global poverty, and the achievement of the United Nations Millennium Development Goal of reducing by one-half the proportion of people, between 1990 and 2015, who live on less than $1 per day. **

Sounds like Obama has introduced a method for me to pay for his relative’s problems. Awfully generous of me. Do I get a tax write-off?

Since the bill’s sponsor will be the President is the bill even necessary? Or does it give him authority he didn’t have previously?

So I have three pretty solid votes for bullshit and one vote for panic in the streets because it absolutely must be the God Given Truth. I’d like very much to receive just a few more votes before reporting back to my Republican sister, since her impulse will be to go with the God Given Truth answer. And I promise faithfully that if the God Give Truth answers outnumber the Bullshit answers, I will honestly so report.

Thanks.

I should have noted that, for what it’s worth, I have been hearing these UN will bankrupt us all / not be happy until we are all living on a par with third world nations in abject poverty since I’ve been paying the least attention to them and so has my sister. It appears we have neither one learned one damned thing from the simple fact that not one of them have yet borne fruit.

It’s a mandate but it doesn’t give him any new powers to do so. He’ll have to try and get all the powers by trying to get bills with some funding attached to them, or with laws that actually implement the treaties he’s given himself a ‘mandate’ to implement. Given that he doesn’t have 60 in the Senate, I doubt he’ll be able to do the majority of the things the OP’s sister is worried about.

LouisB, just read the text in the link. The bill requires the development of a comprehensive strategy, and lays out the elements of that (like taking global poverty into account when making trade decisions). The only potentially objectionable element is a vague call for expanding debt relief “as appropriate.” Though if you’re against debt relief, I imagine you’d think it was never appropriate.

Yeah, because global poverty has no impact on your life. Thank god your short-sighted politicians are out of power.