September 26 - The First Obama-McCain Debate

We’re all gonna be spinning for our candidate no matter how he does tonight! That’s my point.

Damn it! I demand that “spoilers included” be added to the thread title!
Sheesh! What’s worse some friends and I had planned to make an evening out of it. There goes my Friday night. :smack:

Just out of curiousity, have you read any thread in GD about Obama in the last year?

You’re giving him way too much benefit of the doubt there.

Taking as my example the last time that Obama and McCain were sort of together, at that ministry thing some weeks back. Believe it or not, those of us who like cerebral, thoughtful answers felt that he did better than McCain, who sounded to us like he molded the questions to fit the stories he wanted to tell. Yes, Obama ums a lot when he’s speaking off-the-cuff. I don’t mind that. I mind a lot more when the candidate shifts the question to fit into a canned answer that he’s already memorized.

At that event, Obama sounded like he was having a conversation. McCain sounded like he was making a speech. It depends on what you’re looking for.

Not really. I plan to vote for Obama, but if he does a bad job at the debate I really don’t have a problem saying so (indeed, I think he was kind of lackluster in his debates against Hillary during the primary). I’m not voting for him because I think or care if he’s the best debater in the land (or even better then John McCain), and since the Obama campaign isn’t paying me anything, I don’t really feel the need to do their spinning for them.

No, not all of us are going to be spinning for our candidate. I’m going to be watching intently (if I can find it streaming online) and doing my best to evaluate the debate objectively.

But hey, if you want to make this an NFL game, all power to you.

Obama’s poll numbers have been slowly rising since a little before the economic crisis. He’s got momentum. A good showing in the debate might be what he needs to run away from McCain in the numbers (his RCP average is +4 now.)

Obama has had a chance to learn from his mistakes in the previous debates and from his interview with Rick Warren. I have little doubt that he know exactly what he needs to do. The thing to watch out for is McCain pulling under Sarah Palin moment and doing something completely unexpected.

With the way McCain has been playing politics, it’s truly anything goes tonight.

I’m not even going to be watching it.

My daughter’s schhol picked tonight for their ‘Open House,’ so insted I’ll be sipping lemonade and eating oreos while touring a first grade classroom.

But when I come back and put my pumpkins to bed, I’ll check this thread to read how they stumbled and triumphed.

It wouldn’t matter to me who wins the debate. I have to vote Dem for the near future, I just cant stomach the right anymore.

The whole “small town value” bullshit I have been hearing for past year (and even more of it since Palin joined the ticket) just makes me sick. Because I live in a city means I have no values? I rape kittens and kick babies? The entire right spin machine continues to throw the small town value kitchen sink at us and I just can’t take it anymore.

Any party that makes the assumption of “good” and “evil” based on geography deserves scorn and derision, not votes. I don’t care if Obama stands up and promises to take money from whitey and pay all blacks reparations!! I’m still voting Dem. If Obama admits to being a secret American hating Muslim… still voting Dem. Ex-Black Panther? Still voting Dem. Bowl a 32? Still voting Dem.

If the right wants my vote, earn it. Tell me why your POLICIES are better then the left, not why your values are better since you come from a small town .:smack:

This is why God invented recording devices. And the internets.

ETA: But I’d want to have a word or two with the PTA about this scheduling. Way to promote good citizenship.

My wife and I are going to watch the debate tonight and I plan to give my honest, unbiased opinion of how the candidates do after. I really want Obama to win this election, but I don’t particularly like him or find his voting record impressive. On a lot of issues I’m more of a Republican than a Democrat and voted Republican in my first Presidential election, and supported McCain in 2000. I’m really more against McCain than for Obama, mostly because of how he seems to have abandoned his principles. I strongly suspect that Obama will do well, but I’m going to be judging the debate objectively.

Yeah… um… about that… I’m on the PTA and helped plan this.

It just didn’t occur to any of us to look at the political calandar in addition to the school district calandar! It wasn’t until about a week ago that any of us realized it!

Now I feel bad for not promoting good citizenship…

I’m looking forward to it as fine theater. Given the campaign so far, events of the past few years, and especially recent developments, the potential for excitement and spontaneity is nigh unprecedented for these things.

I tend to be one of those fools impressed by the stuttering jug-eared doofus, so I am eager to see how he chooses to address many issues - especially McCain’s actions of this week and his choice of running mate. In the past, I have felt he consistently took a higher road than one I might have taken.

I’ll offer that NONE of us will be able to accurately report who won the debate. Or ALL of us will. People tend to see/hear what they want to, and be influenced by myriad factors. Folks watching on TV judge them differently that those listening on radio, and so on.

And in a way it is sad that a significant number of people will base their votes on these bits of theater. But me, I’m simply looking forward to it as entertainment!

The evil part of me would like for Obama to fly back to D.C. an hour before the debate and then deride McCain for abandoning his post (especially since McCain’s already won).

PS- To win a debate you not only haven’t debated but haven’t even decided if you’re going to yet is surely the sign of the world’s biggest master debater.

(Someone had to say it.)

There’s an image I did not need…

Unfortunately this debate is all about foreign policy so little to no comment on domestic issues. Of course being politicians they have a knack for shoe-horning in whatever they want to talk about no matter how irrelevant it is to the question so who knows?

You’d think with McCain being as old as he is, he’d remember one Thomas Dewey-does that name ring a bell? :wink:

Well, that’s one thing you don’t have to raise your arms above your head to do.