Series you've recently watched, are now watching or have given up on

It’s the last few episodes of TNT’s “Animal Kingdom”. Invested for Four season, this being the fourth. I’m glad it’s ending.

You should start with the original series, if only for the character backstories. It’s all much the same.

I watched all of these (the three seasons of the Japanese series, and the Netflix continuations). It was incredibly relaxing, plus I learned a lot about weird Japanese food.

But why does virtually every episode involve a crying man? Is it a Japanese thing, or specific to this series?

I tried it when it first aired and…I just could not. Bad enough that Tracy Morgan’s character was so irritating I wanted to scoop out my eyes with a rusty grapefruit spoon rather than watch another episode. But almost all the characters were that I’m-funny-because-I’m-stupid trope that modern comedy seems to binge on. Worst, they managed to make Jane Krakowski – Jane Krakowski! – unappealing.

Maybe I should give it another try. A lot of it may have been because Studio 60 On The Sunset Strip did the premise more seriously and IMHO much better.

On another note, I started Travelers. Interesting premise. Let’s see if this holds my attention.

I’ll do that, we started because my FIL found the Tokyo stories version and recommended it , and we didn’t find out about the previous series until later, but we are only 5 or 6 episodes in.

I haven’t seen this series (or heard of it until now) but a dramatic tearful speech at the end of the episode is a very, very, very common thing in Japanese TV.

Usually they’re just crying and eating at the same time here.

My ladyfriend and I are watching Manifest because, reasons.

Looking forward, tbh, to rewatching Ozark and Better Call Saul in time for their next seasons.

Hm. Ever seen Tampopo?

“a man rushes home to his dying wife and asks her to fix dinner; she promptly does so, serves him and the kids, and drops dead with a smile; the father tearfully demands that the crying kids continue to eat, out of respect for their mother”

https://jonathanrosenbaum.net/2020/04/food-sex-and-death/

I would say give it a go if you like, of course, but don’t waste too much energy giving it a chance. I like the silliness and bits of surrealism, but a lot of it hasn’t aged particularly well and I would expect that if you weren’t into it then, you probably won’t be into it now

I started watching 24 hours in A&E on Amazon. I never expected to enjoy this type of show, but I am.

The people are just lovely and they work so hard to take care of the sick and injured that are brought to them for care. I admit, I do have to look away from the screen now and again.

Watched the first episode of the three season series. Have to decide to continue or not.

Too long ago to remember, sadly.

It doesn’t really change up much so your first impression will likely remain. Not to talk you out of trying it again, of course.

Season 3 and my main criticisms are that (a) they apparently ran their Time-Life Guide to Folklore dry and most of the episodes are about generic “demons” rather than a Monster of the Week and (b) aside from Bobby, we hate every recurring non-central character (I guess Ellen & Joy are okay but haven’t seen them yet this season).

Also, every time Dean is on some “I dunno if God is real” kick, we’re “Dude, you’re fighting demons. From Hell. With holy water. And Catholic excommunication rituals.” I could see saying “I dunno if God is listening or cares” but within the framework of the show’s world, sure feels like there’s not a ton of room for doubt that there’s some form of holy divine. That’s more of an eye-roller than a real point of contention though.

I absolutely loathe Tracy Morgan. He’s just not at all funny and never has been. It’s the primary reason I quit watching 30 Rock. It also seems like everything that Tina Fey is involved in has the same sort of how-hip-are-we comedic slant. Rapid-fire dialog with so many trendy references that it just wears me down (Girls5Eva is a prime example). Yeah, I’m old and not her target audience.

I just wanted to add that it is based on a Manga series that started publication in 2006 and is still ongoing today, so if they want to keep adding episodes and seasons they can do so for a long time before running out of material.

//i\\

Titans and Batwoman are quickly losing my interest.

In Batwoman, I wasn’t sold on Ruby Rose as the title character, either as the hero or in her civilian identity. Then she left after the first season, and they replaced her with Javicia Leslie, who pulled the dual roles off better [aside: it wasn’t until after the second season that I read up on Batwoman and discovered that the character is one of the few positive examples of a main character being LGBTQ represented in pop culture. I had thought it weird that both Kate Kane and Ryan Wilder were lesbian. I didn’t realize the significance of it]. But after killing Kate off, they resurrected her with a new actress in the role.

Titans is even worse. The actor playing Jason Todd makes me want to slap the shit out of him. Nightwing is boring. The only bright spot in the series is Anna Diop as Starfire.

I enjoyed it but, at first, I thought the writers treaded too lightly when it came time to disabuse the students of their entitled ignorance. But then I thought some more about it and realized the creators of the show did an excellent job is pointing out who really runs the schools anymore and how the administration and faculty is terrorized by the student body.

I had time so I finished watching The Defeated. One sympathizes.

I want to mention a couple of upcoming shows. The remaining five episodes of the fifth season of Billions start on Showtime on Sunday, September 5. (The first seven episodes of the fifth season aired last year before production was shut down due to the pandemic.)

I binge-watched the first two series/seasons of Ghosts on HBO Max over the weekend. Really good BBC program about a present-day young couple who inherit an old house that’s haunted by a group of ghosts from various points in history. I think the cast does a really good job. I think it was recommended earlier in this thread. I believe the third series/season will be available on HBO Max in September. And then in October, there will be an American adaptation on CBS.

Tomorrow, August 31 the first episode of Only Murders in the Building premieres on Hulu. It’s a crime comedy starring Steve Martin, Martin Short and Selena Gomez as apparently crime-solving residents of a Manhattan apartment building. I’m excited about this.

And I started watching For All Mankind on Apple TV+ over the weekend. Interesting alternative history drama about a world in which the Soviets beat the US to a manned moon landing, and the subsequent race to establish a permanent manned base on the moon.

Titans has always been meh to bad. (And yet I still watch for some reason.) The good one is Doom Patrol.

As for Starfire, my idea of the character comes from Teen Titans Go, and every other depiction is gonna fall short of that.