Series you've recently watched, are now watching or have given up on

Been slowly watching Venture Bros, an episode or three a day. The first season is hit or miss, but it seems to have found its stride in the second season. Currently near the end of season 3.

Enjoying all the parody. First thing that really made me laugh was The Master talking about what his other heads were doing. The Scooby Doo episode was great.

Finished two series:

Extraordinary Attorney Woo (S1): I have to admit that I became hooked on this. It’s a real feelgood series but with assorted lawyery stuff and corporate politics and various little twists that don’t necessarily go the way you expect. And Park Eun-Bin is genuinely delightful to watch, despite my initial unease about the extent to which her portrayal of someone on the autism spectrum reflected reality. It’s not remotely serious drama, but it’s an enjoyable show. Would recommend.

Westworld (S4): Well that was impressive. By which I mean it’s impressive how they took a series with such an brilliant first series and an amazing cast and then continued to find new depths to spiral down to. Even this season started out on such a promising note and failed to deliver anything. Really, all the clever stuff they built up about what was real and what wasn’t didn’t really matter in the end. I’ll watch S5 when it happens just to finish the story but I can’t see how they will even manage to crawl out of the hole they’ve dug, let alone cap it off in any sort of satisfactory manner. Don’t bother - or just go back and watch S1 again.

Re: Westworld Season 4. I was quite hopeful for awhile that season 4 was back on track; back up to Season 1 levels even. Nope. Not even close.

Westworld is like tylhe works of M. Night Shyamalan. You make something with a twist, and suddenly you’re the one who makes things with twists, even if it means that everything else sucks. At then end of season 5, we will learn that the whole thing was Bob Newheart’s dream.

I was thinking about Heroes as a comparison - excellent first season, and then a rapid decline into incoherence, cheap gimmicks and clumsy “twists” that have clearly just been stuck in as a failed attempt to be clever.

At least Heroes had the S2 writers strike as an excuse; Westworld went slowly and increasingly off the rails all on its own.

We’ve started watching episodes of Key & Peele, but I have a question: why, since it is on HBOMax, is the profanity bleeped?

Just a guess, but since it originally aired on broadcast television, perhaps the censored versions are all that are available.
That, or somebody decided it wasn’t worth the effort of re-editing from the master tapes, if they still exist.

Gave up on The Outlaws after 4 episodes. Just too bored to stick it out for the final two.

Started Outer Range. Not a big Brolin fan, but I liked the first episode okay. I also hate the trope of someone finding an amazing object/place and just keeping it to themselves like it’s no big deal.

Re: trope

There’s more to it. :shushing_face: :grin:

I certainly hope so. Some tantalizing hints already. :slightly_smiling_face: I plan to catch a couple more episodes tonight so I should have a better feeling for the show after that.

Tag Sale, You’re It! is my favorite episode of the entire show.

The Orville: New Horizons - S3 was a definite improvement over the previous two seasons overall; they’ve kept just enough comedy to keep it fun while getting rid of the “We must appeal to the Family Guy audience” bullshit that really dragged the previous seasons down. All ten episodes were reasonably solid and the stories moved at a decent pace. Also, I haven’t checked the rest of the internet but I’m pretty sure I spotted a goodly number of nods to Star Wars along the way.

Downsides: Apart from the soapboxing (a habit it shares with Star Trek), there were a couple of actors who still are quite wooden, several scenes ended with characters silently staring at each other because the writers clearly didn’t know how to finish the scene, and much as I like Scott Grimes there is a limit to the number of cheesy songs I want to hear him sing and this season blew past that limit quickly.

Still a lot better than ST: Discovery though.

Well, add Knightfall to thel list. Started out great in the first half of the first episode, but soon devolved into something less… historical and more soap-operatic than I prefer. Way too much intrigue and nonsense for what I had thought was a series about the Crusades, not some post-Crusades palace intrigue tale.

Just started 2 series, and I can recommend both:

Five Days at Memorial (AppleTV+) Five episodes, and we’ve finished the 3rd. Gripping, engrossing, devastating about the impact of Hurricane Katrina on a NO hospital, and how it was a complete clusterf***. Can be summarized as: “What evacuation plan? I thought you had the plan?” and “We’re sitting around waiting for someone to give us an order.”

Mo (Netflix). If you remember Ramy (Hulu, I think) about a Muslim immigrant in the US – this is basically the same idea; possibly because Ramy Youssef is an executive producer. Young Palestinian man, with his mother, brother, and Mexican-American girlfriend in Houston. Charming, warm, thoughtful, and very funny.

Thanks to Netflix I’m versed in the experience of Korean immigrants in Toronto (Kim’s Convenience), Indian immigrants in LA (Never Have I Ever) and now Palestinian immigrants in Houston.

Guilt, season 2 starts tomorrow night on PBS. Season one was great and I’m looking forward to it. Starring Max Bonnar.

Hotel Portofino on PBS. I had high hopes for this series - I love Italy, and I love period pieces (20s). But it kind of dragged and I got confused with certain characters. I also didn’t like the extortion and fascism part of it.

Hotel Portofino seemed designed to capture the audience from The Durrells in Corfu, though it wasn’t as good.

I’m enjoying The Offer on Paramount+, prompting me to look up the real life people depicted. I don’t want to spoil anything, but this isn’t the first notable appearance of Ruddy’s girlfriend (the real one; not the actress) in a memorable limited series.

I loved the Durrells!

Finished Hacks (S2). Nice to have all the storylines wrapped up, and I’m still fancrushing on Jean Smart.

Started Lucifer (S1), which I’d managed to avoid heretofore. It’s diverting but I’m unlikely to develop an emotional commitment to it. The banter is top quality, but the spouse finds Tom Ellis’s devil just a smidge too camp to really take seriously.