serrated knife

correct me if i am wrong but i thought the cutting motion when using a serrated knife is back and forth sawing, or long pull stroke. i was looking for on line for knife classes and got a glimpse at one i thought i would like but the video i seen showed a serrated knife being used as a chef knife when doing cutting motions. Example cutting a tomato into pieces using the tip of serrated knife down and a forward down cut,not the normal back and forth sawing used on a serrated knife. any thoughts on a serrated knife being used like i mention. if this is wrong i dont want to join the classes.

Knife skills are as much preference, art and snobbery as actual validated technique.

But I’d never use a serrated knife in any kind of “pressure cut” situation as I would a straight-edged knife. Sawing or a single pull stroke only. Same for straight-edge, narrow slicers. A forward-and-down stroke would work for most things but I think it’s best for a chef’s knife, as that’s what the blade is shaped for.

Could you link to the video?

Moderator Action

Since this is about techniques used by chefs and such and not so much about the physics of cutting, I think it will do better in Cafe Society, where our resident chefs and foodies tend to hang out.

Moving thread from General Questions to Cafe Society.

Well you wouldn’t use a serated knife on something like firm cheese… all the serations would do is increase friction by increasing blade width AND surface area.
But with the tomato, the points of the serations poke into the skin and then the skin is weak, tearing along the line between the holes, and with the insides effectively liquid… the serated knife isn’t causing any issue is it ?

But there are two types of serated knife.

1. sharp points as well as sharp web.
  2. steak knives for use on the dinner plate, with blunt points and sharp web.

Thin super-stainless serrated knives work pretty well for sawing or chopping when they are still very sharp. There will be more resistance to the blade though, and the thin metal can twist and bend under pressure leading to messier cutting. I use them for cutting bread or other foods that really need the sawing. Otherwise I use a thin unserrated slicer knife for meats and such, and a heavy chef’s knife for everything else, I just make sure they are good and sharp before tackling tomatoes and other fragile foods.

I like my black Kyocera. 17 years, one sharpening.

Dennis