[QUOTE=Rube E. Tewesday]
My wife was just diagnosed as having severe sleep apnea. Apparently she stops breathing an average of 94 times an hour during the night. No wonder she’s so sleepy during the day. The sleep specialist has started the paper work to get her a BiPap. What can we expect once she has it? Is there anything in addition that can help?
All information gratefully accepted.
[/QUOTE]
I barely beat out your wife’s score with 96 episodes per hour. When I first was prescribed my CPAP (about five years ago IIRC,) I looked for a lot of the kinds of info you’re asking for but found very little. From my own anecdotal experience:
My CPAP took a while to get used to. It would have been easy for me to give up, but the girl I was living with at the time was very determined to get me to use it. She would frequently wait until I was asleep, and when I started to have an episode, she wake me up and put the mask on while I was too groggy to protest. I don’t know if this is the best way to handle your wife, but you need to really help her get used to this. Just in case your Doctor didn’t spell it out for you, let me explain what the Apnea is doing to her:
- Your wife has high blood pressure, Doesn’t she? This is due to the Apnea and will go away when she is using the device regularly, as will:
- Frequent upset stomach / acid refulx
- weight gain
- lack of energy
- Has your wife ever woken up choking on bile and unable to breathe? If she hasn’t, she will unless she starts using the device.
But that’s just the tip of the iceberg. Apnea causes an amazing amount of stress on the heart. It’s estimated that many of the families who have ‘a history of heart disease’ don’t have any heart problems at all - what they have is a sleep Apnea problem that wears out the heart. This was the case with my family - my grandfather had six heart attacks before he finally died. We always thought his problem was stress, but he snored and choked worse than anyone you’ve ever heard. His problem was Apnea.
Here’s how it was explained to me: When an Apnea subject experiences an ‘episode’ they can go for as long as thirty seconds without breathing. At some point this kicks off an emergency subroutine in the subconscious, which pumps a huge amount of adrenaline into the bloodstream. The heart goes into panic mode, and the subject wakes up - just long enough to clear their airway and go back to sleep again. The whole process takes about 3-5 seconds, which is too short to register in conscious memory. That’s why your wife doesn’t remember any of this.
Putting the heart into panic mode 94 times an hour every night will wear out even the strongest heart prematurely . Apnea can kill by choking the subject in their sleep, or it can kill by shearing decades off their life by wearing out the heart. It’s badness, and you’re extremely lucky to have found out she has it now.
So here’s what you, her partner, will need to know:
- When she puts on that mask, she will feel horribly ashamed of how she looks. You need to reassure her that you don’t care, and you want her to wear it. (This will never stop, by the way, so you will always need to reassure her for the rest of your lives. I still hate putting the thing on where anyone can see me.)
- The mask will be uncomfortable. The trick is, don’t strap it solidly against the face like a gas mask - sleeping masks function more like balloons. Put it extremely gently against the face, then turn on the pressure. The air will fill the loose areas and tighten the mask next to the face with minimum pressure. It’s still uncomfortable at first, but you get used to it.
- As mentioned, you may need a humidifier. I’m the opposite - I find a humidifier makes me congested and I wake up unable to use the mask. Try with and without, see what works.
- If she’s got any congestion at all and can’t breathe through her nose, she won’t be able to use it. Stock up on nyquil and claritin for these occasions.
- sometimes the air coming through the tubes is cold. She can warm it by pulling as much of the tubing as possible under the blanket and next to her body. (This sounds like a silly thing to mention, but believe me, this might end up being the most important. I almost gave up because the darn thing made my nose so cold.)
After a few months of use, she will start to realize she’s awake more, feels better and has more energy. Encourage her to use this energy to exercise and diet a bit - the candidates for surgery to permanently fix Apnea are the skinny people. (Losing weight might sound impossible to her right now, but she will find it a lot easier in a few months.)
That’s about all I can think of off the top of my head. Sorry for not having an official cite; I prefer hard data over anecdotes, but that’s all I got for you. Good luck!