'sex offender' hysteria - play along at home!

I completely disagree with grabbing a strange child being unacceptable. There are plenty of situations where it isn’t.

I too am fed up with this hysteria about children.

But the fact–FACT–that he did not commit a sex crime should–SHOULD–prevent him from being stigmatized.

This is sheer lunacy.

–sheer–

Isn’t this a get-out-of-jail-free card for kids? Basically they can commit pretty much any petty offense (throwing snowballs at a car, breaking a window…). in years past you’d chase them down, grab them by the ear and lead them to their parent’s house where they’d get a hiding. Now, if you can’t restrain them, they can get away with anything unless you know them and where they live.

I guess what we all have to do is avoid all children not our own as if they were some species of dangerous animal. Do not initiate any contact unless the parent is there and gives consent. If approached by a child, back off, maintaining a five yard space between you and the child if possible.

The problem here is not the judge and it’s not the statute, it’s the DA.

He grabbed someone by the arm and lectured them and was charged with attempted kidnapping/child abduction??? Hell, if you tried to kidnap a child and the state can nail you on unlawful restraint, that’s OK, and the registration is at least understandable. The mere act of grabbing a person’s arm should not be considered a crime of this magnatude. Where is the sense of perspective here?

Way ahead of you!

Lesson of the day: Not going anywhere for a while? Grab a girl -er- Snickers bar.

Here’s what he could’ve done. Hit the gas, hit the girl. File a complaint. “Unlawful vehicle and street restrain”. Kid goes to jail.

Now see, this is what I was talking about in the “Don’t touch my baby!” thread. People said I was paranoid because I suggested that some moron might think a person was a pervert for tickeling baby’s feet.

I’m not pleased though, to see my argument justified, though. No sir, I don’t like it.

You’re right. This is a great solution to the issue presented by the OP of this thread. She should have all the “baby-touchers” registered as sex offenders. That should be an efficient deterent.

Joking aside it does seem that he would have been better served by hitting the kid; manslaughter may suck but it won’t stigmatize your life like being a registered sex offender will.

Right. That’s EXACTLY what I was suggesting.

:rolleyes:
Maybe my point is, “Gee, people are really touchy nowadays, and ready to sue for just about anything, so perhaps we need a little dose of CYA?”

Psst.

Psst. I think (hope) she was joking.

clairobscur is a guy, and I definitely think that was sarcasm using guin’s post as a jumping off point.

Would knowingly having sex in the presence of a child count as an offence?

Since a fetus can be considered a victim of murder, would having sex with a pregnant woman (and in the presence of her fetus) make it a victim of a sex offense, as well?

How slippery in this slope?

I was just joking. Not stating that you suggested such a thing…

Plenty of situations? I cannot think of plenty…I can think of a few where it could maybe be understandable, but not many.
I disagree with this case’s outcome. I don’t think this guy should be charged as a sex offender if everything the article says is true and as the man proclaims. However, I do think it is inappropriate for someone to jump out of a car and grab a person’s arm that they don’t know. If someone did that to me, we’d have a big issue. If they did it to my child, they would be in worse trouble. You just cannot go around grabbing children in today’s world. No, you cannot grab a child and drag he or she down to his or her house if you don’t know the kid. The world where you could do that was the world when serial killers were unheard of and random acts of violence were still shocking to all of us.

When I was about eight or nine, I drove my bike across Little Creek Blvd against the light. The guy who slammed on his brakes jumped out and grabbed me before I could escape. Grabbed me hard - I had wiped out at the sound of the squeal, and was getting back on my bike - one might say he snatched my arm away from me. He demanded my address, and went there and told my mom. Is that all right to do to your kids in your world?

You sound like you’re using the existence of hysteria to justify the hysteria.

Well, unless you can demonstrate some actual harm was done to you… sure.

Did you ever bike against the lights again?