Sex Sells, but why advertise?

I stand by my statements as posted. You are all free to read them and think what you wish.

However, I’m still unclear on this “troll” thing. The only one flinging this dreadful term around is you, my friend. Which statement of mine is it that is “understood by most members” to be “the precise definition of calling a poster a troll”?

I looked around, but I didn’t happen to find
“You’re a troll” anywhere in my text.

I suggest you’re accusing me in such wise to deflect attention from the real issue at hand here: Whether or not your original post was a thinly vieled rant against homosexuals. I submit that it was, no more no less. Keep the imagined insults out of it, please.

I bet you didn’t buy the Malcom X postage stamps. Of course he was born poor of a despised class in the rule of the most powerful nation the world had ever seen. He was annointed as a preacher by a strange fellow on the fringe of socitey. He preached and drew great multitudes mostly from the outcasts and poor to his sermons. This upset the poweres that be. He traveled to the dessert and had a epiphany that all men are brothers, this became one of his more frequent topics. He sought justice for all. He was betrayed and killed by former followers while noone in the ruling class shed a tear. He is one of the two folks that folks might figure mean if you write “He is an Xian” . What if he came back and wasn’t treated any better.

Omni -

Off topic, but what’s your problem with the feminist movement? The feminist, black, and gay movements won’t end until there is equality. And to call those movements “detestable” is an insult to anyone that’s a part of them. I have my thoughts on Malcolm X vs. MLK Jr. too, but I’ll pass on that until I hear your comments on feminism. One rant at a time.

And another note: perhaps this topic should get moved to GD? Just a thought…

Dear God, I am trying my best to keep this out of Great Debates, i really want to stay on the original topic in that I actually think that there is an answer to this. The side debates of MLK Jr. vs. Malcolm X, whether “movements” led by radicals are a good thing and so on are endless answerless debates that I have no desire to argue. If someone wants to discuss 'em feel free, but that was not my goal, and I pray I can get back to topic at hand. I made the dire error of making off handed comparisons to illustrate a point and those comments are developing into a beast of their own.

Falcon, I really don’t want to get into this can o’worms, but lemme try and clarify succinctly. I have no issue with womens rights, equality, Title IX, or women in general (I’m actually quite fond of them). I am trying desperately to say that I have no issue with the peoples involved in the movements, just the dangerous momentum and ill feelings they cause. An example that applies to the feminist movement, the more radical leaders while promoting womens rights and ambitions also take a decidedly ain’t male stance and treat men indescriminantly as the enemy. This type of thing is just as wrong and destructive creating animosity as the initial injustice. Two wrongs don’t make a right. I hope this clarifies once and for all the intention of my statement.

I do not feel that my statement disparages the parties involved in any of the movements by simply critisizing their methods, and the tone of their actions. Their goals are just, but the ends do not justify the means.

check that, it should say “…an anti-male stance…”

And I thought all this time nobody cared.

It’s my name in Korean. If you download Korean Language Support from Microsoft, you can see the Korean characters. Otherwise, it’s just gobbledeegook.

No big mystery. :slight_smile:

¾È ³ç, ÁÖ µ¿ ÀÏ

I may be off here, but I’ll throw in my $.02 anyhoo…

Some people may be more sensitive to “advertising” one’s sexuality, well no. Some may just be more aware of homosexuals being homosexual.

For instance…I hold my husband’s hand in public, but no one notices. Had I been holding my girlfriend’s hand, everyone would notice.

I don’t think most homosexuals are doing anything out of the norm, it just happens to be with someone of the same sex.

Off my soapbox…

http://www.sfweekly.com/1998/060999/pride1.html

An article by the well-known advice columnist Dan Savage on the sin of pride and the gay community… I think it fits in this discussion

The reason gentlemen prefer blondes is that there are not enough redheads to go around.

Dear God Sassy, that article is exactly what I was trying to say, without pissing everyone off, and avoiding all the silly side fights. Thank you for posting it, everyone please read it and let me know if I’m more clear now!!!

Here it is for emphasis:

<blink><big>Please Read This Link, a PC way of what I wanted to say</big></blink>

So you’ve managed to turn your rant into a religious rant. I find that even more despicable than the garden variety you espoused before. You’re digging the hole deeper. Keep posting!

One question - Do you agree with the phrase “I’m proud of my country.”?

I would slap the taste out of your mouth if I could. You know god damn well that there is not a single religious implication in my point. IGNORE the religious crap that sets up the article I am not passing commentary on the 7 deadly sins or anything of the sort. I have no interest in anyones sins, I am merely echoing the authors opinion (a gay author mind you) that the pride shown is misplaced and destructive.

And if your intentionally trying to piss me off and distract me from the topic at hand (curiously you haven’t even commented on it yet) then go fuck yourself.

If you proceed to muckrake irrelavent issues I have no intention of responding to any more of your posts.

Well wait, now. Didn’t you just post a link and say:

And now you come back and say that article was not exactly what you were trying to say? Why make the declaration, then. Don’t blame me for your inability to communicate your ideas.

You’ve put me in the unfortunate position of being a moderator who has the duty to warn against personal attacks and abusive language, but since I’m on the receiving end and would not take unfair advantage, I’ll simply ask you if you’d like this thread transferred to the pit, or can you discuss this in a calmer manner?

Ps. You did not answer my question.

I’m done with you, you choose to be the abusive moderator if you like, but you are the sole reason anything within the content of this thread has gotten confrontational. I am going to share no more contact with you and I am going to restrict any further comments to the question i have posed and its discussion. Your perception of my intentions are irrelavant, and unless any other members share a negative opinion of the content i posted I am going to maintain the opinion that this confict is entirely of your making. I no longer intend to propogate the conflict, and nothing inherent in this thread bolongs in the pit, only your outburst and accusations. My tolerance level is at its peak and anything further will be driven by anger on my part and serve no positive influence.

So be it.

Just for the record, for those of you who did not open the link, here is the headline and the first paragraph of the article in question. This is what I’m supposed to ignore:

"The Sin of Pride

For a group of people long labeled sinners --and understandably sensitive to a charge that’s still made – it’s more than a little ironic that gays and lesbians should select a sin as our annual rallying cry. And not just any sin, but the sin Pope Gregory the Great called “the queen of them all.” "

Nickrz, please check your e-mail.

I was hoping for some discussion of the original question… sigh

The reason gentlemen prefer blondes is that there are not enough redheads to go around.

The original question is still open for discussion.

I think Nickrz has just made the strongest arguement for faceless moderators that I have yet seen on the SDMB.

Just my opinion. Not that it counts for anything.

[[I am trying desperately to say that I have no issue with the peoples involved in the movements, just the dangerous momentum and ill feelings they cause. An example that applies to the feminist movement, the more radical leaders while promoting womens rights and ambitions also take a decidedly ain’t male stance and treat men indescriminantly as the enemy. This type of thing is just as wrong and destructive creating animosity as the initial injustice.]] Omniscient
One problem with that – such people are a distinctly tiny minority in these movements. Using a handful of extremists to characterize a broad-based movement is not an appropriate rhetorical device.