Shake your money, Maker.

In regards to thatWhat makes blue cheese blue column, could I just ask this:

Couldn’t I make Roquefort(style) cheese fairly easily with a rotten bucket of local milk, and a morsel of Genuine-Roquefort to infect it with the traditional bacteria?

Obviously have to make some sort of authentic shepherds cave in the garden to ripen the bastard…

[ul]
[li]You’d need ewe’s milk.[/li][li]If you started with “rotten… milk”, you’d be starting out with a lot of wrong bacteria.[/li][li]The Roquefort agent is a mold, not a bacterium.[/li][li]I have no idea of whether the mold is still alive in the end-product cheese.[/li][/ul]

In addition to what Mr. Kennedy said, much of the Roquefort that we get is pasteurized, which I assume kills off all of the mold that’s in the cheese. I am uncertain as to whether or not unpasteurized cheese mold would actually work well as a starter.

I think ‘pasteuris(z)ed’ in the context of cheese means that the process is carried out on the milk, before the starter is even added; pasteurising mature, ripe cheese would ruin it completely and render it unrecognisable.

Since this is actually a report by SDSAB staff member Una, let’s move it to the proper forum.

Staggerlee probably meant curdled milk, which is necessary for cheese production. If someone found a jug of curdled milk in their pantry, they’d probably refer to it as rotten.

Back to the staff report, the origin legend has someone leaving their curds in a cave for weeks, coming back to find them covered with blue gunk, and eating it. Must have been a cousin to the guy who discovered cider–“Hey, we drank the juice that he left in the cave for weeks, and that was a PARTY. I’m going to try this, no matter how strong it smells.”

It was probably more like:
“Who’s the idiot who left the cheese out!! Sheesh, now we have nothing else to eat…Oh well, I’ll try cutting around the funky parts…Hey, this ain’t half bad…In fact it’s good!!”