Share about cuisines less familiar to most Americans

I’ve had them in Florida - you don’t see them everywhere, but they are not terribly hard to find.

Is an “unborn egg” an egg with a half-formed embryo inside, or an unlaid egg extracted from inside a killed bird?

In New York there is a Viennese place or two that are actually a bit hot lately. One chef runs them. I think German food died out because too much of it was mediocre. Otherwise, it’s a mystery: there are few things Americans dig more than meat 'n potatoes and plentiful brewski.

Spanish food also seems to be slightly passé, which is too bad. Some places masquerade as tapas bars, but turn out to be, like, Pan-Asian or something. Solera, in NYC and Irvington, NY, is my favorite REAL Spanish place.

Had wonderful food and friendly service at Ukrainian Village in the West End. Pierogies are pretty much a Canadian food once you get into the breadbasket of the country. In NYC’s lower 2nd Avenue, there are some Uke places but I don’t know how good they are. Veselka was a legendary greasy spoon. Pretty waitresses, though.

Scandinavian is another favorite of mine. Unfortunately they can’t keep it going in NY. Christer’s was a favorite of Mama Doug in her expense account days - fantastic smorgåsbord platter, freshest damn fish you could imagine, and they did Santa Lucia every December, with the candles in the hair and the whole bit. There was also Nyborg Nelson, a sweet Swedish deli in the Citicorp Center, gone now too.

Actual Chinese food from China is relatively hard to find here in the States, mostly due to the lack of correct oils and cookin methods.

Squid can be fantastic if prepared correctly. I love it on a kabob, when grilled just right and seasoned properly.

Genunine Hunan food(from the Hunan region) can be fantastic and the hottest/spiciest food I’ve ever had. Mao’s favourite dish consists primarily of pork and pig fat in a soupy/liquid sauce is great. I also has peppers and other spices to make it hot. The fat actually is better than the pork, since it becomes softer and absorbs the fluids. It’s one of those dishes that sounds horrible, but can be quite good. It’s also a great sign of Mao’s extravagance, since most people had no meat and he’s eating the best pork in the land.

There is a Tibetan restaurant in Central Square Cambridge that does a lunch buffet I’ve been to a couple of times. Some of the food bears a resemblance to some types of Chinese food, but some of it is quite different.

There is also an Ethiopian restaurant nearby but I haven’t been in years. I used to love the stuff but it wreaked havoc with my reflux.

Elsewhere in Cambridge there is an awesome Afghanistan restaurant called Helmand that is definitely worth a visit if you are anywhere in the area. I understand it is owned by relatives of Afghanistan’s president Hamid Karzai.

A couple of years ago my Russian former boss brought a bunch of us out for a celebratory lunch at a Russian place in Brookline MA. I don’t remember much details (we had vodka, Russian style :smiley: ) but the food was awesome.

But go easy on the salo!

Karzai’s brother used to own an Afghan place by the same name in Chicago, on Belmont & Halsted, but it’s been closed for years. I went to a lecture he gave a couple of years ago, and was astonighed when he said he’d been to Chicago many times and told us about his brother’s restaurant. Never made it there, though.

There are a couple of Afghan places in the Chicago area - I’ve been to the one on Devon Ave., but not the one in Skokie. Go to the one on Devon Ave. and get the sauteed pumpkin appetizer (the name of which escapes me at the moment). My friends say the one in Skokie has great food, but terrible service - don’t go unless you are planning to spend 2 - 3 hours.

I am a big fan of food from Singapore. It’s really quite good and naturally fusion asian, with influences from India, China, Indonesia and Malaysia.

There are a couple of good Singaporean restraunts in the Twin Cities that you’ll often find me at, usually behind a heaping helping of nasi goreng.

Funny enough, the plov I had was in Bukhara (we were doing a story on the dwindling population of Bukharan Jews). It was homemade, and all I remember is that it was quite greasy (and I generally have no qualms about oily foods) and rather bland, although I could pick out some specks of cumin. Lamb kebabs made for much better eating. (And at a buck for four skewers, if you traded your dollars for sum on the black market, like everyone did.) Maybe I’ll give it another shot.

Good to know about the Georgian food. The only Georgian I’ve ever had was in Moscow and Budapest. However, I do know there are a few more Georgian places in Chicago. For your reference: (I’ve never been here, but they’ve been mentioned on a Chicago foodie board I belong to)

Argo Georgian Bakery
2812 W. Devon

Tbilisi
2954 W. Devon

St. Rustaveli
4902 W. Dempster St.
Skokie

Good, but only for the bread - the other stuff (khachapuri, etc.) is made with prefab frozen puff pastry dough.

Went once, years ago, and it was a very Soviet experience; they were out of half the items on the menu, and one of the things we did order (chicken tabaka) was still bleeding when we cut into it. Also, though they had just opened and had no liquor license, they offered us a variety of vodkas. I haven’t been back since.

Went there once - very much a hole-in-the-wall joint. OK food, not great, zero atmosphere. I’d rather cook myself. If you don’t speak Russian or Georgian, you are going to be ordering on the “point-and-pray” method.

What’s the Chicago foodie board?

http://www.lthforum.com

Here’s the thread on Georgian in Chicago.

Plenty of Serbians ;).

Sorry, never did the pig roast thing ( with family, anyway ). The only large meals I can recall having with my aunts, uncles and cousins is Thanksgiving. Which was pretty standard in format, if delicious. And about the only noteworthy cultural aspect of that was the several hours of everybody goodnaturedly, loudly and simultaneously trying to talk over everyone else, with a brief interval of 20 minutes of silence when it was time to eat. Followed by more excited chatter at only a slightly reduced rate in the aftermath. Actually, that might have been more of a familial aspect, than a cultural one :P.

• Tamerlane

Oh and by coincidence there is a place by the same name in the Bay Area which was just reviewed ( a follow-up review, actually ) a couple of days ago:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/06/29/NSGV8JKKR337.DTL&hw=helmand&sn=001&sc=1000

In the town I used to live in two years ago, two Hawaiian guys opened up a restaurant. They’re operating it out of the back of their gas station/quickie mart. Good food, especially if you’re into meat.

Portuguese cuisine is also good-try pork with clams-sounds weird, but the flavors relly go togther. I’d also recommend spanish cuisine-it bears no resemblence to mexican. And, if you live near a vietnamese community-try thiers-I think it is better than cantonese chines-lighter and more subtle. For you NYC DOPERS-is LUCHOW’s (German) in Manhattan any good?

I’m told to expect a fair amount of drinking and dancing, too. :slight_smile:

I’ve had them, and they’re not that hard to find on most local seafood restaurant menus. I mean, obviously not at Red Lobster, but at the little locally-owned ones, sure.

There’s a German place that’s pretty good (Loreley?) on Rivington between the Bowery and Chrystie. I’ve only been a couple of times, but I really enjoyed it. Good spätzle.

There’s some very yummy Albanian food to be had in the Little Italy of the Bronx, in NY. I assume that Albanian food is a lot like Georgian food, in that it seems to blend what those of us usually consider Eastern European and Middle Eastern culinary traditions.

I love, love, love South Indian food. Many of my favorite foods are South Indian. Most Indian restaurants in the US serve North Indian food, with some vegetarian dishes that (according to my Indian boyfriend) are found almost anywhere in the country. I’m addicted to dosais and good, hot rasam. Not to mention that anything with a really good sambar is to die for. If ever you’re in the Columbus, Ohio area, check out The Dosa Corner, near Kenny and Henderson, and Udipi, on Dublin-Granville Rd.

There’s some great Brazilian food out there. A good feijoada (bean stew with pork) with farofa is not to be beat! There’s also acai (which is much, much, MUCH better than the anemic bottled crud you can buy in the US. Acai in Brazil is a completely different thing from the Sambazon juices, really.), salgadinhos (little bits of salty dough wrapped around different things and fried. Very, very yummy.)

I’m especially fond of the food you find in the northeast of Brazil–acaraje (a fried bun made of black-eyed pea flour, with some homemade hot sauce stuff, yellow shrimp paste with veggies, and whole shrimp. You buy it on the street for a whole of US$0.75 at most), mingau (this thin, pudding-like stuff made from tapioca) manicoba (the Brazilian version of collard greens), moqueca (a seafood stew with palm oil–hot and spicy!) , vatapa (a seafood casserole thing in some forms, and a shrimp paste to put on acaraje in others), fried manioc, and lots of fresh fruits that you don’t see here in the US. I haven’t found any good Brazilian food in the US, but I bet it’s there in NY, LA, and Miami. There might even be something like it in regions of New England where there are lots of Cape Verdians.

Puncet/Pancet? (sp?)