What dish immediately comes to mind when someone says [Country] cuisine?

Assume any country for [Country] including your own.

I know that technically this would fall into cafe society territory but I’d like to keep it in IMHO to hit a wider audience.

I’m really interested in the differences of opinions between natives of the countries and those foreign to it.

I’ll start the show.

America: It’s a toss up. Hamburgers, hot dogs, steaks. Just about the all-American stereotype.
Japan: Sushi of course.
China: Fried rice or lo mien dishes.
Italy: Nothing but lasagna
Brazil: Steak again. Because of my experience with Brazilian steakhouses.
England: Fish and chips. Thanks Al Capp.
Germany: Schnitzel, from one of my old co-workers who spent time in Germany.
Ireland: Shepherd’s pie. Amazing stuff.
Greece: Gyros.

I know that most, if not all, of these are stereotypical, but that’s pretty much the limits of my exposure.

What else ya got?

America: Hamburgers
Mexico: Burritos
Japan: Sushi
China: Kung Pao chicken
India: Biryani (or Naan bread)
Korea: Kimchi
Vietnam: Pho
Thai: Pad Thai
Italy: Spaghetti & Meatballs
England: Fish & chips
Ireland: Corned Beef & Cabbage
Germany: Pretzels
Greece: Gyros
Russia: Borscht
Poland: Pierogies
Ethiopia: Injera

I’ll add to your list.

Jamaica: Jerk chicken
Indonesia: Chicken feet
Mexico: Arroz y Pollo
Spain: Paella
Argentina: Empanadas
Australia: Roo on the barby :slight_smile:

Canada: Poutine

New Guinea: Long Pig

Weird mix of food I’ve had and stereotypes

US of A: Hamburgers, hot dogs, steaks.
Belgium: Waffles
Brazil: Brazilian Barbecue
Canada: Back bacon
China: Won Ton Soup
Cuba: Enchiladas
England: Roast beef with Yorkshire pudding
France: Duck
Germany: Sauerbraten
Greece: Moussaka
India: Curried anything
Ireland: Potatoes
Italy: Spaghetti and meatballs
Jamaica: Jerk goat
Japan: Sushi
Korea: Kimchi
Mexico: Enchiladas
Middle-Eastern: Hummus
Morocco: Lamb
Poland: Kielbasa
Portugal: Paella
Russia: Vodka (I guess borscht if that doesn’t count)
Scandanavia: Lutefisk
Scotland: Haggis
Thai: Tom Yum soup

NM

I read the thread title as “country cuisine” and thought chicken fried steak!

Same here! One time in deep Texas, I ordered a hot roast beef sandwich, and it came with sausage gravy.

US: hamburgers
Canada: vinegar on french fries
France: snails
Italy: spaghetti
England: spotted dick
Mexico: tamales
Germany: sausage (many, many sausage)
India: tandoori (which it took me 20 years to realize that I liked Indian food, I just didn’t like tandoori)

Australia: Meat pie

Enters pedantic mode

I think you meant the comic strip Andy Capp. Al Capp was an American cartoonist famous for the comic Lil’ Abner (favorite food in Dogpach: Hog jowls)

*Exits pedantic mode.

Lived in the United Arab Emirates and for the Gulf area, it’s Shawarmas and Hummus.

United States - hamburger
Canada - cruller and a beer
Poland - kishka
England - pot pies
Mexico - tamales
Germany - bratwurst
France - crepes
Sweden or Norway - Lutefisk (but then again I am Lutheran)
China - noodles
Japan - bamboo shoots
Australia - shrimp
Greece - goat

I thought of cornbread.

When I think “Italian” my first though is bagna cauda, a warmed oil dip from the Piedmont region.

I first learned about it on, of all things, Babylon 5, the television show. Mr. Garibaldi was making it. It has olive oil, butter, anchovies, and lots of minced garlic. As Dr. Franklin said. “I can feel my arteries hardening just being in the same room with it.”

If you say “Italian” I’m torn between the polenta I had in a mountain village 2 hours east of Rome and insanely lemony limoncello I had in Capri.

Pasta only plays a small role in authentic Italian cuisine, and when it does it’s an appetizer and more common in the south. Rice (as in risotto) and polenta are the equivalent in the north. Central Italy is a mix of the two.

(and oh, the potato pizza I had in that mountain town was to die for too!)

And gelato. Don’t forget gelato. I practically lived on it the last time I was in Italy, which was roughly 15 years ago.

Nobody else has mentioned Hungary yet: Goulash.

Poland, while pierogis and kishka are both very good, I think that the standard association is kielbasi (with or without sauerkraut).

And while corned beef and cabbage is probably many Americans’ first association with Ireland, it’s not actually much of an Irish food. The association comes from Irish-Americans who came to the New World and hit it big (compared to what they used to have), and went crazy over things like corned beef that they couldn’t get in the Old Country. Real Irish food, meanwhile, is mostly the same basic staples that you’ll find anywhere in Europe.

Except for the brown soda bread. I’ve never been able to find that anywhere else, and I can’t seem to make it right myself, either.

While I have no idea what constitutes typical food in Cuba, Enchiladas are something I would never have guessed without many clues.

I saw that coming when I was proofing my OP. Decided it was a valid interpretation and left it alone. :slight_smile: Cornbread for me too.

You are quite right. I meant Andy Capp.

According to Esquire, shawarma sales got a huge boost in L.A. after a comment at the end of the Avengers movie. I had probably heard of it before then, but it had never really been on my radar.

That’s exactly what I was talking about with foreign perception versus reality. I’ve always ‘known’ that pasta was as much a staple to Italians as rice is to Asians.

I suppose that now someone’s going to tell me that Asians aren’t big on rice either.

No way, dude! A Dogpatch banquet, if such a thing were ever to happen, would feature trashbean soup, followed by po’k chops and prasarved tarnips.

:smack:I don’t know if helps that it was supposed to be ‘Tamales’.

I’ve had Cuban tamales, they have chunks of ham and peppers in them instead of loose meat mix, very good, and I don’t have any other particular association with Cuban food.

(Breakfast)
Eggs over easy but fried (nay, boiled) in REAL farm-fresh butter.
Orange juice that was juiced from fresh oranges.

(Lunch)
Sweet Tea, from scratch.
Fried Chicken, from scratch.

(Dinner)
Steamed clams, in season.
Slow roasted pork, impregnated with layers of garlic cloves and brushed with a home made BBQ reduction sauce every 2-3 minutes while on a slow turning spit.
Fresh pie, made with berries picked that day. Often, it was several inches deep and you could Still ask for a scoop of home-made vanilla icecream on top.

Growing up, I learned that just because someone lived in the country didn’t mean that they didn’t know how to live WELL…

You just playing Count? Or did you really not read the OP? :wink: