[QUOTE=Ruby]
I was just thinking about this very subject the other day… which is odd because I never entertain.
Your tips are good ones, Sonia and I have none to offer. I do have a question, though.
There seems to be two camps of entertainers, those who prepare all things ahead of time so that the host/hostess can enjoy and those who leave preparations to be done with their guests getting everyone “involved”. Do you have a preference? Are there pitfalls to either?
[/QUOTE]
Ruby, both types of entertaining are fun. It’s a matter of the degree of formality.
Like most Americans, I mostly give informal parties where eveybody, as you say, “gets involved.” I ask close friends to bring casseroles or desserts. When guests arrive, I put them to work setting the tables, choosing cds, tossing salads or mixing margharitas. I ask for help because these parties tend to have anywhere from six to 40 guests, and I genuinely need help. But another reaon for putting people to work is that it’s a fine ice-breaker for people who are shy or who are first-time guests in my home. After informal parties, close friends will usually stick around to help tidy up, and I’m glad of the help.
But smaller dinner parties for six to ten people are also a lot of fun. I don’t want the guests to do anything but show up, eat the food and amuse one another with their chatter. With a dinner party, I do as much as possible ahead of time. I don’t ask people to bring food or help in the kitchen. I set the table 24 hours in advance and plan the menu so I can do most of the cooking in the afternoon. Often, I’ll serve soup as a first course and will present the rest of the meal buffet-style in chafing dishes or on hot plates on the sideboard. Soup and buffet dishes are easy to prepare and set out in advance.
When the doorbell rings at 7:00 p.m., I like to be nicely dressed and neatly coiffed, ready to greet my guests while smiling serenely, a wine glass in my hand. I don’t want them to find me rushing around the kitchen with my hair in rollers frantically stirring the soup while trying to remember whether I’ve made the bearnaise sauce. After dinner, I like to lead my guests out of the dining room and shut the door on the mess. I don’t let people stick around and clean up afterwards - most of the time, anyway, they’re dressed too well to want to scrape plates and carry out the trash.
The reason I started this thread was to garner hints from other hosts and hostesses that would help me run dinner parties efficiently and keep that serene smile on my face all through the evening.
There really aren’t pitfalls to either type of party. It’s just a matter of planning. You should think about entertaining, Ruby. Start small, with a pizza party. Or invite your friends to bring pot-luck and you supply the drinks. It’s fun and the more you entertain, the easier it gets and the more your confidence and popularity increase. You’ll also start seeing that your parties encourage your friends to entertain.