Share your spinach recipes!

Yeah, spinach omelette. I like to put a couple of big handfuls of fresh spinach leaves on a plate and microwave it for a minute. Then chop through this softened, cooked spinach a few times on the cutting board.

Make a nice French-style omelette, and put some grated gruyere down the center, and arrange the chopped spinach on top of the cheese. Contrive to fold it over, and plate it up.

That wasn’t me, but… maybe that’s a regional thing. They’re always at my local Brooklyn, NY grocery store; both the store brand (Key Foods) and a national brand which by memory I think is Green Giant. I just use the store brand stuff, which serves me well.

That’s a good thing, because there’s no Trader Joe’s or Whole Foods near enough for me to bother with.

Spinach is great with sharpish cheeses and/or cream.

I usually prefer “wild” spinach over regular - especially cooked - since it keeps a little more crunch.

Here’s my recipe for a quick and delicious pasta with spinach & gorgonzola sauce:

Ingredients:

Enough cream to make a sauce that will coat your pasta - not too much, you don’t want the pasta to drown in the sauce. Sour cream works too.
Some gorgonzola to melt in the sauce (to taste).
One or two peeled garlic cloves, slightly crushed.
Two small trunks of wild spinach (about 8 large leafs per bunch) per person. Pick the leafs of the stems and discard the stems, tear the larger leafs in half and wash really well and shake them dry in a colander.
Black pepper.
Optional: some fresh parsley.

Boil water for pasta. Add salt, add dry pasta.

While the pasta is cooking, add the cream and garlic to a large skillet and heat on medium heat. Crumble in the gorgonzola. Stir occasionally to prevent burning the cream and melting the cheese into the sauce - you want to end up with a slightly thick, sticky sauce.

When the pasta is almost done, pick out the garlic from the sauce and discard. Add the spinach to the sauce and cook, stirring, until it’s shrunken. Poor the pasta in a colander, drain and add to the skillet. Stir/scoop until the pasta is well coated and plate it. Top with some fresh ground pepper and (optional) chopped parsley.

Serve with a salad or whatever you like.

Also works without the spinach :slight_smile:

Like LLcoolbj77, I am just cutting and pasting this from the Green Goddess thread:

Now, some might say, “but that’s just a spinach salad with french dressing!”. Well you would be right, but also so wrong…there’s just something about the perfect simplicity of fresh, spinach, bean sprouts, hardboiled eggs, bacon, and the perfect dressing. See, that’s a good recipe and pretty spot-on for Betty’s dressing, but her proprietary bottled dressing is where it’s at… that jarred dressing just makes this salad special. This salad is one of my favorites and sometimes craved for. Also, the classic version uses the canned bean sprouts, but fresh are also acceptable (they weren’t really available commercially when this salad was invented), or a combination of the substantial and crunchy canned sprouts and the wispy fresh.

I wish I knew the recipe! My favorite spinach dish is served at Pukk in NYC, a Thai spinach toast described as “crispy fritters with spinach and lime sweet chili”. Maybe someone else here knows the recipe or could figure it out?

The two most common spinach recipes at Casa Nava:

Spinach omelette. If you need a recipe for this you have a problem. I’ve also encountered spinach-and-cheese omelette, spinach-and-chopped-up-bacon omelette and spinach-and-salami-omelette.

Parboiled or sautéed spinach, chickpeas, chopped-up hardboiled egg and tomato sauce. Cook everything separatedly, mix, eat.

It’s one of those veggies which shouldn’t so much be “cooked” as “introduced to the pan in a hurry”.

Chicken breasts stuffed with spinach and goat cheese. Heaven.

Spinach Casserole -

3 pkg frozen spinach, any brand

Two pkgs Lipton Onion Soup Mix
(Don’t substitute with another brand. We’ve learned that hard way that the dish tastes funny if you do)

One Large container sour cream.
(I lurves me some sour cream so I tend to use more than a single container. And make sure it’s real sour cream. The low-fat stuff doesn’t cook right. Learned the hard way about that, too)

Thaw spinach in microwave, drain thoroughly. Combine with onion mix till blended. Fold in sour cream. Pour into greased backing dish. Bake at about 300 degrees for *at least *a few hours.

The longer and slower the bake, the tastier the dish. Always best to make it several days in advance before eating, and keep refrigerated until ready for use).

You can always get the Spinach & Cheese whole wheat ravioli at Whole Foods too :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve had good luck with spinach quiche. Chopped spinach, onion, garlic, mushrooms and cheese fried up a little bit, mixed with eggs and a little milk, poured into a frozen pie crust and baked.

I’m able to buy them at Meijer and sometimes at our local IGA. They’re in a blue and silver box.

I toast about a tablespoon of sesame seeds in a dry frying pan or in the toaster oven and crush them a little with the back of a spoon. Then I mix the sesame seeds into 2-3 tablespoons of
mayonnaise. Then, I blanch (a quick dip into boiling water) and drain a couple of bunches of fresh spinach. Finally, I toss the spinach in the sesame flavored mayo.

I like sesame mayo on asparagus, too.