Shootin' Pigeons

• A friend lives in a nearby location with well more than it’s share of pigeons. We think it’s because of the high buildings they seem to like to roost on, but nobody knows. Anyway, knowing I am an avid airgunner he has asked if I would get a couple of like-minded pals and blast some of the pests. (They crap al over things like patio furniture, Victorial architectural details, swiming pools and so on - it is EVERYWHERE) I have observed that a few of them have metal bands on one of their legs. I knew another fellow years ago who kept pigeons, and he always banded all of “his” birds, but let them fly free most of the time. Should I assume that the banded birds are somebody’s pets, and thus not targets? If we went at a certain time, say, early in the morning, would we increase the chances of hitting “local” birds as opposed to killing any just passing through the area? (Do pigeons always sleep at home?) - MC

Don’t shoot them (yet) you may need the food someday.

JACK

YOU COULD PUT SOMEBODY’S EYE OUT WITH THAT THING!

Do you know of any WILD animals with metal bands on their legs?

The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
– Henry David Thoreau

I doubt that they do this to pigeons, but scientists will capture wild animal & tag them to research populations & movement.

Well after you got one with a band you would know what it said.

If the band says “Wash. Biol. Serv.” that does NOT mean to cook it!

sosumi

Better cooked than raw :slight_smile:

opps sorry about the quote
didn’t realise I would get in next

“All the world seems in tune on a spring afternoon when we’re poisoning pigeons in the park…”

• Tom Lehrer

Pet birds are banded so that if a bird dies prematurely, they can trace the band back to the bird’s siblings and in order to see if the cause of death can be traced and avoided for the surviving siblings.

“Age is mind over matter; if you don’t mind, it don’t matter.” -Leroy “Satchel” Paige