Shopping case shoes: type?

So I’m trying to make some movement on exercising more. My main need is still shoes, so I’m trying to break my procrastination on that. However, I’m not sure what kind of exercise I want to do (most likely something indoors, may be weight training, may be a machine like a treadmill, may be both, most likely in some kind of exercise room or gym), so I’m not sure what kind of shoe to get.

Trainers as a category sound good. I assume Lifestyle is more for looks than practicality. Obviously basketball, baseball, and running shoes are likely too specific.

Once I know the type, I’m 3/4 of the way there, so what do y’all suggest?

Are you going to be walking or running on a treadmill (if you use one)? If running, buy running shoes. You can use weights while wearing running shoes.

If you’ll be walking, buy shoes suited for walking.

Cross-training shoes are suitable for most activities. If you will be running, you really should get shoes specifically for that purpose.

I have 4 pairs of shoes for the gym; two pairs of cross-trainers, and two pairs of running shoes. I alternate amongst them based on what I’m going to be doing that day, giving the others a chance to dry thoroughly.

Hm, I was hoping to get away with minimal financial investment.

I suppose I could go with a general shoe and just jog if I do a treadmill until I figure it all out.

Running shoes are designed for…running (big shock there, I know). They don’t have the lateral support desired for things like basketball where you do much more side to side movement.

If you’re lifting, you’re not doing a lot of side to side motion; sometimes you’re sitting & not even on your feet at all.

Cross-trainers are a little good at everything but not great for any one specific thing. They would work for you.
Running shoes would work for you because it doesn’t sound like you’re going to do the things they’re not designed for. Similarly with walking shoes.
I’d get one of these types.
If you decide that running is your thing, go to a running shoe store to get shoes. Since fitting runners is what they do all day they’re better than the clerk at some national sporting goods chain who’s fitting many different types of athletes & in my experience doesn’t have as much detailed knowledge.