Travel is the one area where I definitely won’t make the purchase/reservation through a third-party site, having been bit in the ass badly once, when I’d booked a trip via Travelocity, only to discover that, when my flight was cancelled, I could not make any changes through the airline, but could only do it through Travelocity (which had terrible customer service, and gave me very limited options on how to proceed).
That’s why i only click on the link from Trip Advisor, and don’t buy through their links…
But anyway, i want to know how to ask Amazon to give me access to reviews again. @Roderick_Femm , do you remember? Because i search their reviews a lot, and lose a lot of value when they only show me 3. Which is what happened the last time i tried reading reviews of dehumidifiers with pumps, and wanted to read the reviews that mentioned “pump”, and not just read their ai summary plus 3 reviews.
This happened to me as well, and I stopped doing anything on Travelocity except searches.
Apologies if I misunderstood!
No worries! It’s a good warning.
Yeah that’s what I’m saying. Gmail has all of your email and scrapes all of your email and does stuff with the info it scrapes. I’m not saying it is specifically a function of Amazon emails. And it’s also not new info that Gmail has all this email data - this is how cloud email has always worked.
Until now they’ve kind of just sat on this data and didn’t make a big stink about the fact that they’re consuming it. With these order tracking alerts they’re bringing the issue out into the open again. And now with AI they have better tools to consume and translate the data.
It’s just something that occurred to me reading this thread - Gmail has huge consumer datasets. Not just from Amazon. But also, mostly from Amazon.
Actually I just looked at my last Amazon email and it’s vague as well. This is definitely an Amazon change.
I actually really like the change, because all five of us use the account, but I’m the email contact, and I used to see gifts intended for me popping up. Now I might see “games and toys” or “books”, but I don’t know what exactly.
(If this hasn’t been answered yet) When you click on the (say) 1-star level, and they give you just 8 reviews with varying ratings, there’s a line of fairly small type, either at the top or the bottom of those 8 reviews, that says something like “If you want to see more reviews, you must make a request” and I think the word “request” is highlighted or something. You may have to hunt around for it.
Unfortunately, I don’t see that now that I have made the request, all I see is a repeat of the notice that my request is being processed. And I don’t remember exactly what I saw or where it was, but if you search all the stuff around those 8 reviews you should find it.
This is why making it an option is a great idea. Pushing it on all users whether they want it or not is not a great idea.
I have a different Amazon problem - how do I get them to stop delivering packages to me. No, it’s don’t order from them, I already (don’t) do that but probably once a month one of my neighbor’s packages ends up on my porch, typically after 8 or 9pm by the lackeys who drive the own car & park it in the middle of the street such that none can pass, not the professional drivers in an Amazon truck.
Twice now, including the other night, I’ve gone outside & tripped over a box that wasn’t there when I went in & was not expecting because I didn’t order it. It’s not my neighbor’s fault. Can I even contact Amazon about an order that’s not mine? Can I trespass a company, not an individual?
Good luck, but I’m going to say objectively probably not. At least not definitively. I’m sure you can contact Amazon customer service and bitch, but they’re just mostly going to say we’re very sorry, file your complaint and that will be the end of it.
Amazon subcontracts out most deliveries and a fair bit of it is to a rotating cast of Amazon Flex gig workers. As subcontractors Amazon has very little responsibility or liability for them as employees. The actual customer has a valid avenue of complaint because they didn’t receive what they ordered. But I believe you can still file a complaint about inconvenient misdeliveries even as a non-customer and it will go their record. Get enough demerits and they’ll eventually be “deactivated” (aka fired).
But they’re just a random gig driver and there is no guarantee that will solve your problem. If in fact it was tied to a single incompetent in your area it might. But more likely if it is an easily confused address, it will just keep happening. Maybe lower frequency, maybe greater varying from driver to driver.
To flip this…I’m willing to be a little inconvenienced by notifications and reviews(you can look up a product for reviews on Google, btw) to get things quickly, conveniently without having to ever go in a store. If there was even a store around here, with a product I may want.
Their customer service has always been helpful if I’ve had to return or require a refund. Never had a problem.
I enjoy shopping on Amazon.
(I’ve been Prime a long time)
For years we had the problem that our house was slightly mislocated on Google maps, until I went in and corrected it. I know you have house numbers, but it did cause misdeliveries, and I wonder if one of your neighbor’s houses is misplaced.
Or, the drivers are hapless.
Nope, immediate next door neighbor, & both of us have house #s out front.
Judging by the way they park some type of __less - hapless, clueless, brainless. One driver stopped in the middle of the street & then left their car door wide open while they made deliveries to multiple houses, instead of yanno, pulling to the curb in front of the driveway they were delivering to. No vehicle could pass them because they were too important / lazy to pull to the side. She wasn’t even hustling her step, either.
Perhaps suggest that your neighbor contact Amazon?
This really pisses me off. I am very specific about what I’m searching for. This is supposed to be THE most sophisticated shopping website in the world. I’ve started using Google as a shopping search engine. I rediscovered the world according to everybody but Amazon.
Google is a decent search engine for Amazon. But also, once i find one item that works, “other people who shopped for this also considered” usually gives excellent options.
I have some consumable items on “subscribe & save” since I know I’m going to need more regularly. When an item I’ve subscribed to goes out of stock, it tries to recommend a replacement, but its recommendations are equally bad. It’s like “Sorry, that replacement filter for your air purifier is out of stock. Here are some recommendations of other filters that fit completely different models of air purifiers.” Or “That shower cleaner is out of stock. Might I recommend this toilet bowl cleaner instead?”
No, Amazon, those are not acceptable substitutes!
Update on my ability to see reviews: I had an email this morning saying that my status has been reviewed and I am now approved to see all reviews. This took three days instead of five. No word of explanation about why the change in the first place, of course.
And no change in the less-informative email updates. They seem to mean to keep that in spite of protests.