And i can magically see reviews again. Maybe i wasn’t logged in when i couldn’t?
Um… WHAT? Shoppers need approval to see reviews? Amazon needs MY approval to do business with ME.
If you read higher up in the thread, our tentative conclusion was that Amazon had preliminarily decided ad hoc that I was an AI bot scraping data from reviews, a decision which they have altered on further review, as requested by me. Only one other person in the thread, I think, @puzzlegal, had the same issue. The symptom was the inability to see all the reviews, only a few per product.
It’s not just Gmail. Needing a set of tires for my Suburban I googled tire prices, settled on Discount tire and ordered a set before showing up at the store, Even though this was through Firefox suddenly Discount Tire ads are showing up on You Tube in heavy rotation.
Which is dumb. I just bought a full set, DT. How soon do you think it will be before I need another?
And to bring it back to Amazon, I let my Prime membership lapse in December 2024 after Bezos bent the knee in the November election. I have managed to not spend a dime ever since although that may change as my Kindle is wearing out.
clear your cookies & they should cease (only to be replaced by other ads)
I quite like my Kobo e-reader. If you have a lot of books locked into the Amazon ecosystem that you still want to use, there are e-ink tablets, like Boox, that run android and can load the Kindle app to read your Kindle books.
I will keep that in mind. I rather like e-ink readers since the charge lasts so long. The Kindle is a gen 5 for that reason. Yes, you need a light to read but then you do with a paper book as well.
I have a million Kindles and a Boox Palma. I did try the Kobo Libra Color but I didn’t like it. The Boox is a solid choice, if not very intuitive to use. But one of the major benefits is you can run anything on it that you can run on an Android phone. That includes the Kindle app, library apps, Bookshop.org books, any reading app of your choice, as well as MSWord and PDF Docs. It’s wonderfully versatile. I might get a full sized one eventually.
That said, I still think the best e-readers are Kindle. My main reader right now is a Kindle Colorsoft and it’s just easy to use and clean and crisp in a way that the other brands I’ve tried are not. I also have a Paperwhite Signature Edition which is outstanding. Arguably the Paperwhite is the better reader.
As long as they keep making excellent e-readers I think I’m stuck with Amazon. That and all the rewards points.
I hardly read paper books at all these days, but that’s set to change as I’m trying to set up the new living room as a screen-free paper book reading space (just waiting on the furniture, lol.) My friend sent me a hardcover Gothic romance novel and I’m just dying to read it in front of a roaring fire.
The silver lining is that it means that the ad company knows you’re interested in tires, but not that you have purchased them.
I guess i upgraded to the Kobo from an older Kindle, but the screen of my new Kobo Libra Color is pretty good, and far better than the screen on my old Kindle Oasis, which i liked until it stopped holding a charge for a full day of reading. It’s even good enough for maps and other illustrations, although the colors are not very saturated. I like that it has physical buttons to turn the pages (which my old Kindle had, but none of the new ones have.) I find the interface surprisingly more intuitive, too. I would sometimes muck around for minutes with the Kindle trying to change the font size or screen brightness or something, and i get both of those on the first try with the Kobo. (Although i “pinch to change size”, which, while intuitive, can be a little hard to dial in exactly right.) The Kobo also integrated really well with Calibre.
The only thing i liked more on the Kindle was borrowing library books. Paradoxically, the fact that its not integrated directly into the Kindle interface makes it easier, because the search function in Libby sticks to the library, and doesn’t keep suggesting i buy books from Kobo.
I haven’t actually tried the Boox, but it’s flexibility is very appealing, and the book-sized (not phone-sized) one may be my next e-reader.
Not sure I understand this.
I believe my Kindle Paperwhite is an e-ink reader, but it doesn’t require a light to read it. And, the battery lasts forever. I charge once every few weeks.
Same with my Kindle Oasis and my Kobo Libra. Not needing an external light is one of the killer features.
I agree. And it changes the color and brightness so well that it is always a pleasure to read, no matter the setting.
Ah. It is E-ink with edge-lit LEDs and I had the impression they were always on.
To each their own, I guess.
It’s a setting. You can turn it all the way off, or set it to be so dim you can only see it in the dark (which is my preference for reading at night) or you can set it bright enough to make the screen clear in a moderately lit room.
You don’t use the light? I like it for reading in bed, after my husband goes to sleep, and for reading in my cabin on vacation in the woods (with no lights). Truth be told, i almost always find it useful.
My Kobo runs for many many hours of reading time even with the light on.
I do read in bed – I have a lamp affixed to the wall looking over my shoulder for just that purpose. About the only place I have trouble is in a theater waiting for the movie to start. Post-Covid I have to select the seat when I buy the ticket whereas before I’d find one under a pool of light when I entered the theater.
I have a lamp next to my bed, but it casts way too much light when my husband is trying to sleep.
Even when I’m alone in bed, i prefer being in the dark with just the lit screen if I’m winding down to go to sleep.
I know you can vary the brightness, but I’m not sure if you can turn it off completely (I expect you can) All I know is, I don’t need external lights and the battery lasts for many, many weeks. I’m glad I don’t have to turn a light on to read it since it makes it usable in all conditions (I backpack a lot and it works great for tent and outdoor reading). The color of the page and the light intensity adjusts itself and I’ve found it does a good job of this. From bright skies to pitch black, it just works.
I can only speak for the one in my hand, the Kobo Libra Color, but if i turn the light all the way down, it goes off. You can only really tell if you are in a very dark room. But i never turn it to zero any more, because the battery draw is so low, there’s no benefit.
It’s currently set to 6%, because that’s a good brightness for me, holding the book close to my face, in a dark room.
Can agree that it’s good both in a tent in the dark and in full sun.
For reading at night, I use a clip-on reading light that attaches to the book I’m reading. I only read paper books, which I used to buy off Amazon, but haven’t for app. two decades now.