Shopping on Amazon rapidly turning to shit

Well, yesterday i got a useful email from Amazon saying “this item has been shipped”. Today i got a useless one saying “two items, one book and one health and beauty product, will arrive tomorrow.”

If it’s the book they previously said wouldn’t arrive until Sunday I’ll be very happy.

They still give the full order details on their website and app, but yeah, unless you only have one outstanding order at any given time, the now-obfuscated emails are often less than useful.

I have zero interest in checking the website, and haven’t loaded the app. The email used to be mildly useful. Now it is much less useful, and saving it (to search my emails to remember from whom i bought those clothpins, or whatever) a complete waste. That’s what i used them for. The stuff will arrive when it arrives, and their estimates aren’t super accurate. But being about to look up who sold me stuff was useful.

I want an opt-out on the useless “category” emails. Most of our Amazon packages arrive on time.

In my case, at least, one item or several items, they are always each listed as their category, not the specific item; and this is on all emails, Ordered, Shipped and Delivered.

I ordered something from Amazon on Tuesday and when it shipped yesterday the email title said the name of the item. And when it was delivered today it said “specific name of item” has been delivered.
:thinking:

I just tried something- if I click on “Track package” on a “Shipped: ⁦1⁩ Book item” I get a picture of my book.

I think these changes are being rolled out gradually, as we can see from responses here, some still have product information and some don’t.

This is true for me as well, and thanks for the tip.

Yes, i literally got the new email style between Tuesday and Wednesday of this week, long after others were complaining about it.

Today i was shopping on Amazon for a new nonstick skillet. I went to reviews and tried to click on 1-star reviews. Nothing happened, so I tried to scroll to the bottom of all the reviews. I got the message the OP mentioned:

Your request to see more reviews has been sent. You’ll receive an email within 5 business days.

This totally sucks! What are they thinking?

As discussed upthread, they are trying to prevent AIs from scraping their review info.

If only there were a better workaround #captcha #verifyyourhumanity.

In some case- not necessarily yours- the one star reviews are just ratings, not reviews with words. I found this out yesterday, when I clicked on the one star reviews for a book, and got nothing, Then I went over to a product where I know i saw some 1 star reviews before - the new 2024 Players handbook, and there they were.

I just checked and I still have 1-Star approval. Lots of 1-Star reviews are idiotic. It will be like “Great product but the box arrived with damage”.

I tried looking for 3 inch receipt paper rolls and relearned Amazon search doesn’t support exclusion booleans. This means the huge number of listings for 3.125 inch thermal paper totally dominate my search hits. Granted, my paper is a less common than thermal paper that’s 1/8" too wide but the lack of -thermal or -3.125 is a pain in the neck.

I think the term is bond paper, device is Epson TMU220 impact printer.

We get a few packages for our neighbours. Usually when they are out at work and the driver doesn’t want to leave them outside. I am happy to take them so long as they leave a note at the correct address.

I hate those things but I’d do it for product reviews.

Just to compare, I decided to order an item on Walmart dot com. The price was lower than on Amazon, but delivery was neither free (around $10) nor fast (6 days, by USPS). I suppose they have some sort of premium membership which gives such privileges, I did not look for it. I also did not look to see whether, with a minimum order amount, delivery was at least free. So I guess it wasn’t really a fair comparison.

Amazon exerts its massive market presence to force competing retailers to match its prices, so it will be tough to find any place cheaper (except maybe ebay) once you figure in shipping.

In the book I mentioned, and several others- the trolls often give a one star for having gay characters or being “woke”. I report those.

Your cite is a YouTube?? :roll_eyes: I mean, that is like the New York Post, but worse.

Do note that Walmart and Amazon have almost exactly the same market share. Any market power Amazon has is matched by Walmart.