[QUOTE=Blake]
A quick response.
I have thought about this, and while I agree with the premise I’ve never been able to see a way to make it workable in practice.
The biggest problem I see is that such a system will inevitably further marginalise groups that are already marginalised: the poor, minorities, the unducated. It doesn’t matter what your intentions are the fact is that any sort of test will immediatley discriminate against those groups, and those are the very groups that can least afford to lose that little power that citizenship can grant.
Can you honestly say that Black kid from juvenile hall will be just as likely to sit a citizenship exam as White kid fom a prep school? Based on what we know about different groups’ voting enrolment and voting turnout I’m guessing that the odds are they won’t be any more inclined to take up citizenship.
The idea of a year of “public service” will effectively make it impossible for poor people to ever become citizens. It’s easy for a rich boy to take a year off between college and high school or after graduating college. But how would a poor single mother manage to do this? Do you intend to pay people a full-time wage and provide free child care for a year while they complete their service? If so how do you propose to fund this significant expense?
Even if you are proposing to pay people a full-time wage and provide free child care how do you intend to guarantee candidates are able to re-enter the workforce after 12 months absence? I know none of my bosses would have re-hired me if I had vanished for 12 months for somehting as ‘frivolous’ as a citizenship tour. But maybe you intend to make it illegal for people not to re-hire citizenship candidates after their tour. In that case you place a huge and unnecessary burden on employers who will be effectively forced to grant the equivalent of maternity leave to every employee. The immediate outcome will be that nobody will want to hire young people who haven’t become citizens because of that risk. Unless you want to introduce anti-dicrimination lwas covering that as well. This is rapidly becoming an administrative and legislative nightmare.
And what if people fail? Is citizenship something I only get one shot at? If I apply at 18 and can’t hack it after 6 months working in the Sonora national park or the Alaska wilderness is that it? Am I ruled out for life? And if I’m not out for life what is to stop me from becoming professional citizenship bum (assuming you are paying candidates wages)? Why can’t I apply now, do 11 months on full-time wages and then drop out and force you to re-employ me next year? I could guarantee myself a public service job for life doing this couldn’t I? How do you intend to stop such abuse?
The next problem is how you intend to apportion citizenship responsibilities under your scheme. Consider the draft as just one example. Would people be able to dodge the draft just by not becoming a citizen? Or do you just intend to force people to die to defend a society that doesn’t consider them worthy of being full members? The former option seems unworkable. The latter is abhorrent and unethical.
And these are just the more obvious problmes I have seen. Like I said, I agree with your sentiment and I suport the idea in principle, but I can see no way to make it work in pratice.
[/QUOTE]
Many countries have had a period of conscription in the armed forces in the past with the conscripts returning to work quite easily.In the U.S. and Europe primary education is free so while it is harder for the poor to study after school it is very attainable .As to people leaving school and immediately becoming unemployed single parent families! even the bushmen in the middle of the Namibian desert know where babies come from and they dont have schools.Much if not most of the poverty in the West is as a result of people having children they cant afford to keep at all let alone in numbers ,and they cant wait !its got to be now.Are you suggesting that someone who doesnt even make a realistic effort to take responsiblty for their own lives has the "nous"to vote for policies that will determine the future of the whole nation ? And then we come to the poor who arent going to pass a citizenship test ,those who are determined WILL pass.Are you suggesting we give the others a "tick"pass?After all thats what we do for Drs,nuclear technicians and the like dont we ? This candidate hasn`t got any idea about medecine(or nuclear physics or economics etc.etc.)but hey ! he comes from a deprived background so lets let him loose on sick people ,reactors etc. I mean everyone has a right to be a doctor so it would unethical to deprive him of the opportunity based on mere ignorance and lack of any ability to do the job!Of course we could always ask a patients family plus hospital cleaners ,porters etc. what surgical procedure to adopt before an operation ,with of course the majority vote being the one used and to heck with the lone vote cast by the surgeon!