Should genetic engineering be banned?

I want to have a cat’s tail, or at least date a girl who does. And I wouldn’t mind if my children and grandchildren are atomic supermen.

But humans have been genetically-engineering for hundreds of years. Before we always called it “breeding” and “hybridizing,” but it’s essentially the same as what we’re doing now with the glowing monkeys.

Nothing to see here, folks. Move along. Don’t snag your feline tails on the police tape.

The funny thing is that I acquired glow-in-the-dark flies yesterday. They don’t actually glow in the dark, they fluoresce green under black light. But it is still pretty bad assed.

edwino: those were pimentos. Go easy on the wacky tobacky.

And why the hell not? I want my invincible army of supermen, dammit! I have cartoonish supervilliany to attend to! :wink:

It depends on where you draw the line and how you distribute the benefits, really. While screening and correcting for disease is one thing, “designer babies” could lead to significant problems, especially if they’re only available to the very rich. I’m not sure if I’m comfortable with the concept of a genetically perfect “homo superior” ruling by force of parental (or grandparental) cash flow for eternity.

On the other hand, Plato’s Republic might actually become workable. Whee Brave New World!

My hesitation with GM’d humans would be that all the hot babes would genetically engineer an army of muscle-bound super-hunks with Staminol®.

Before anyone gets all worked up debating any ideas with Parameter, take a look at this short thread.

They wouldn’t need to depend on inhereted wealth. They would probably be naturally bigger, smarter, and better looking than regular people. Most likely, they would simply advance further in life simply through their own attributes. That is what has people worried.

Plus, they would secretly form societies like the X-Men or the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants, where they could use their genetic superpowers to control the destiny of mankind.

Or at the very leats, they’d try to take over like Khan did at the start of the Eugenics Wars. They should’ve executed the guy, not sent him into space on the Botany Bay!

See my post here for my semi-feasible plan for doing it. I don’t think anybody read it – for God’s sake I’m using the natural logarithm in MPSIMS.

But I think it can work and I am willing to put my putative hordes of villanous coconspirators on making it a reality.