Should I be conserving water?

Or just spit the toothpaste into the toilet. That’s what I do. Leaves it minty fresh.

Well, firstly, yeah at the end of the year reservoir levels were nowhere near crisis stage but that’s because the previous year was pretty good. Two consecutive winters like the one we just had would have definitely caused problems, but fortunately this year is looking good.

More generally, though, you have to distinguish between a warm wet winter and dry ones. With warm wet ones like we had last winter, the water situation isn’t quite as dire as the snowpack would indicate because, yes, they do still get a certain amount of that precipitation into the reservoirs, just not as much as if it’d fallen as snow. There hasn’t really been a dry winter in about 5 years, but they were pretty common in the 90’s and 2000’s, and those definitely did lead to actual water supply concerns in the region.

At any rate, the general point that dracoi made in the old thread is I think fairly accurate. That the amount of rainfall in the actual lowland urban Northwest is for the most part irrelevant to the water supply outlook for the region. It’s true that “snowpack” is sometimes a misleading measure of that supply outlook, but either way it’s the amount and type of precipitation in the mountains that affects the supply outlook, not precipitation in the cities themselves.

Nyet, comrade! Water must be heard running down the pipes. The inch of water still left gritty residue in the sink. Running water. Running! I did say he was the ex creep.

I live in a water rich part of Ohio. For all practical purposes, our water is inexhaustible.

Am I correct in understanding, based on the conversation here… That I am required to shut off my faucet while brushing my teeth… Lest I deprive my fellow people of the world of water, or worse yet, some other valuable resource?

To this notion, I say bullshit. Please explain.

My understanding is that rain through the wet months is more than sufficient to refill the reservoirs. I would need to see a cite that multiple, consecutive warm but wet winters would result in a water crisis here.

Yes, if we get neither snow nor rain (or insufficient quantities), we’ll likely have mandatory conservation through the next summer. We don’t have multiple years of reservoir storage like California does.

Rereading your posts in this thread, it does seem that you’re keying in on the distinction between precipitation in the mountains vs. precipitation in the lowlands. I’m keying in on the distinction between rain vs. snow.

I certainly agree that the health of our reservoirs are dependent on high-elevation precipitation, but it’s worth pointing out having a wet year in the lowlands and a dry year in the mountains is not a thing that happens.

I do also want to reiterate that having the mountain precipitation fall as snow is still a really good thing, particularly for agriculture. It’s just not required for SPU’s water supply.

That’s my situation. All water used in my house is just being briefly diverted thru us on its journey into the Great Lakes and out the St. Lawrence seaway to the Atlantic. If I don’t use it, it still goes to the same place. Shut the tap off while I brush my teeth? A bit more water flows out a spring near my house and into the lake, as a result.

Unless I ingest it, then cross the watershed that feeds the Mississippi instead, and use the bathroom there. Then it goes towards the Atlantic via a different route.

I suppose I spend a bit more on electricity to pump the water, if I let more of it flow freely. But the cost doesn’t amount to much.

If you live in a place where water is scarce, by all means conserve water. If not, your conservation will not help the dry reservoirs in California one bit. There is no nationwide water network.

I live in a wet part of the world. Have my own deep well (with some of the best tasting water I’ve ever had.) Private septic system. And I still try to watch my water usage. The immediate cost of the electricity for the pump are modest. The long term cost has the potential to be devastating - the biggest issue facing our water supply is salt water intrusion into the aquifer. I’d like for my grandchildren to have reasonable access to fresh water, too, so I turn off the faucet, and have efficient appliances, and catch rainwater for watering the flowers. It’s not complicated.

Yes, it’s bullshit, but it doesn’t mean conserving water is a dumb idea. The more water you use, the more resources are expended treating the water, piping it to you, piping it away from you, and treating it again before it gets dumped into natural waterways. Bigger pipes, more chemicals, more electricity.

So I’m a job creator?

Understood. The concept of conserving resources is wise, and being eminently frugal with said resources is ideal. Unfortunately most of us are not ideal people, and perchance, we do not live in ideal circumstances, much less an ideal world.

All things in context.

Are we all doing everything we can do to conserve? Absolutely not. Some more so than others… We live in an imperfect world. Do all the toothbrush Nazis here perform everything, to the Nth degree, to conserve everything? Do you all drive a vehicle that has an over 40mpg efficiency, always employ ridesharing, commute less than 2 miles to work, pedal when less, rely on solar, grow your own food, etc… I think not, so don’t lecture like there is some moral high ground to be gained based on how one brushes their teeth.

What irks me, is the smarmy attitude of some (as evidenced here), who latch on to one minor issue (faucet water protocol during dental cleansing), and thusly imply that those who don’t follow their proscribed dental protocol are somehow, inferior… And thereby: threatening their way of life.

My suggestion to them is this. If a lack of perfection in oral hygiene methodology among the populace creates deficiencies in the public water supply sufficient enough to be a concern as to its sustainability… Perhaps they live in a region where overpopulation is the problem… Not a lack of water.

Just a thought:

I live in an area abundant in water. Quite often it floods.

Conversely (Based on previous posts from the western US,) and those who whine that we all need to conserve water… What if I complained that: “Those who live in the arid conditions of the west need to use more water, to help us alleviate flood conditions in the Midwest”?

How well would that be received?

It just doesn’t work that way.

No.

You of all people should certainly be conserving water, which you can then use for growing more straw.

Don’t put your head in sand. The US is running out of clean drinking water really fast.

Many places in south west US states will fine you when you are watering your grass.

The south west US states are in danger of major drought.

It is Canada and the great lakes that have lots of clean drinking water.

But the south west US states are drying up really fast.

This why the next war will be over water.

Many places on earth are drying up and have no clean drinking water.

In the next 50 years this will be major problem and it starting to even happen in the US.

Only difference is US get water from other states.

Not the case in other countries.

Well some people are not so lucky to live in Ohio that has more clean drinking water than it knows what to do with it.

Desalinate are very costly so that option is out the window.

Why is the option out the window? Wouldn’t high water costs regulate itself in areas where it is scarce?

And more to the point, do you need a national commercial telling you what you already know?

I don’t get it why people let the water run while brushing their teeth! I lived in Northern California in the 70’s and people were very careful about wasting water . People that were lucky to have a shower would get their hair and body wet then turn off the water then wash their hair and soap up then turn the water back on to rise off. We had to conserve water, we never knew when there would be a drought. That is so wasteful letting the water run while brushing your teeth .

Because it cost lot of money.

I’m not sure what you mean by Wouldn’t high water costs regulate itself in areas where it is scarce

What you have in future is some areas that will have more water than people no what to do with it than other areas with very little water.

People will fight and go to war over water.

Why? Because many people don’t live in Canada or by the great lakes that have more water than people no what to do with it.

Some people do live in south west US with very little water!! So no long 30 minute shower or jumping into your hot tub.