Should I be conserving water?

So? You pay for the water you need or you move. Those are the choices California already has a desalination plant in operation. Go figure.

How’s that going to work exactly? Do you see Los Angeles going to go to war with Cincinnati? We’ve had water disparity in the US since the beginning of time. There’s a reason people don’t live in Death Valley. It lacks the water resources needed to support a community.

nm

Great. What’s you’re point? my 30 minute showers do not affect those in the South West. Not even a little.

I know this is a nitpick, I just can’t help it. There is a reason we are called Hayseeds, and not straw seeds. Straw is not grown per se. Wheat, oats, and other cereals are grown: straw being a byproduct of this cultivation.

An insult appears so much more clever when the delivery doesn’t display ignorance.

Nitpick fail. Straw is still grown, even if it is not the primary product.

It’s seems a case of “I want my cake and eat it too”.

Phoenix has sunny weather in abundance, hardly ever rains … thus not much water

Seattle has rainy weather in abundance, hardly ever see the sun in fall, winter or spring … but they have water

So if you want 300 sunny days every year, you’ll have to conserve water … if you can tolerate 50 sunny days every year, you can waste water … seems a simple trade-off.

For one thing, water rights in CA and the Southwest are not market regulated–they are subject to a complicated web of agreements, obligations and privileges that date back to a time when no one could have foreseen the growth of population and agriculture that has occurred in the hundred years since; and also the region was wetter. That system is a major, major problem and it’s going to have to get blown up.

For another, a free market solution that allows aquifer depletion with rising prices for the water until it is used up isn’t the smartest way to handle a limited resource (where it is limited).

Running the tap while brushing, unless you need to get to warm water to rinse (I don’t), strikes me as possibly the least gratifying self-indulgence I can imagine, but savor those small victories I guess.

I know that agriculture and industry are the big water-wasters, but I still do my best anyway. “Don’t do nothing because you can only do a little.” I also figure that when the cities cut their water use as much as possible, pressure will mount on the goddamn alfalfa farmers to close up shop.

Countries in middle east fighting over water. That is what I mean by war.

Who’s fighting over water there? Seems to be over religion, oil, tribal feuds.

Yea by year 2050 there will be very little water to go around for people.

Thinks like religion, oil and energy cost will be least of people worries when masses of earth population start dying off of lack of clean drinking water.

Overpopulation has nothing to do with it at this point now. The lakes, rivers, wells and aquifers are drying up really fast in Africa and Asia.

In the middle east it is really bad now and getting much worse.

A lot of our water is wasted through inefficient farming techniques and aesthetic landscaping (lawns and gardens).

Changing those practices, improving technology in and access to filtration systems and managing population growth in those areas would all go a long way toward improving fresh water supply.

What do you mean nobody could have foreseen the growth in population? Did they all beam in during the Super Bowl while everybody was watching TV? If a city only has the capacity of X amount of water and they give out permits to connect to their water supply of X + Y then They’ve overextended their resources.

Well that’s just a lovely straw man. You’re all set for next season’s Broadway production of the Wizard of Oz. We were talking about desalinization plants which California has already put to use. That raises the cost of water. There’s your market force.

it’s not self-indulgent at all in my area. There is no water shortage. I’ll say it again. My city has 200 ft fountains** IN THE RIVER** that pull water from the aquifer because it’s less abrasive on the system. one of the things people do out in the country is dig a pond close to their house so the fire department has a source of water and don’t have to tanker everything. They do it because they can.

Clearly you must live in an area where water is scarce. Farmers in my area use rain. There are some crops that benefit from a sprinkler system but they are rare and completely disconnected from any city water source.

There’s an argument that the Syrian civil war was provoked in part by drought.

Is a Lack of Water to Blame for the Conflict in Syria? | Innovation| Smithsonian Magazine

I mean that nobody in the west and southwest could have foreseen the growth of the region over a hundred years ago when water agreements began to be formulated. The Colorado River compact was signed in 1922. The signatories were not planning, for example, for a California population of 40 million and agriculture on the scale we presently have, especially madness like raising rice and alfalfa.

Not sure why you’re yattering away about people beaming in during the Super Bowl.

Water rights don’t change availability. It was all planned.

Nitpick fail? What is that, some imagined SD equivalent of a get out of jail free card for ignorance? What a hoot!

I suggest you consider what the statement, “Straw is not grown per se.” actually means… Hint: “per se” is a key concept that needs to be understood.

One does not plant and grow straw… Anymore than one plants and grows rice hulls, corn cobs, or leaves… while endeavoring in the cultivation of rice, corn, or oak timber.

It is understood there is a nuance here, albeit a very distinct one (in the US). However: show me your straw seed, and I’ll produce for you some corn cob seed.

Based upon your insulting comment related to growing straw, this brings us back full circle as to who the ignorant one is.

How one rationalizes such ignorance of straw production into some kind of meaningful comment on water conservation, is beyond any reasoned comprehension.

No my point was if you live in the southwest or area with little water and water cost goes up every year than conserve water!! If you live in area with more water than people use, lots and lots water like the Great Lakes or north west than that not the case.

Some cities are prone to flooding and by conserving can cause more flooding.

But cities with drought and little water people need to conserve.

Having long shower cause it feels good and getting into a hot tubes is a killer.

Watering the grass when city is in major drought is very bad. Same thing with washing your vehicle in your driveway.

Most people in the world have little to no water and it is to get much worse in the future like in Africa and the Middle East.

Pumping water by pipes or delivering it by trucks would be too prohibitively explosives for these people.These people live in poverty so how can they cough up the money for imports.

This is major problem scientists and engineers are trying to fix.

The big killer is people need to conserve electricity.

Don’t have all the lights on in your house. Only have light on in room you in!! Get small night light if pitch black house is problem for you. :eek::eek: Like going to bathroom or walking down to kitchen to get water.

Only have TV on when you watching it. Turn the TV off yes off when you are sleeping, reading a book or on the computer.

You don’t need really brights lights on in your room!! Yes your eyes do well in semi light room!!

When I watch TV or on the computer I only have night light on!!! If I’m reading a book I turn setting up on the light.

Do not drive SUV’s or other big vehicles like a pick up truck or hummer or typical 80’s and 90’s cars of past really big cars people in US drove before. This is really bad.

If you going to store and it is only one mile away than you should walk not drive. Unless it is really cold, snow storm, lighting storm, raining really bad so on.

India will become a failed state within the next coming years from a water crisis caused by depleted groundwater (which contributes to 80% of India’s total water supply), soil/wind erosion caused by deforestation and widespread pollution.

This will then cause widespread hunger, disease, a collapse of export trade and social unrest.

All the effects will be amplified by climate change, which will increase the rate of desertification and water loss in dry regions (north), and increase moisture and sudden storms (contributing to increased disease and property damage) in the wetter regions (south).

Dude. Whoa. Even if India were going to become a failed state due to a water crisis, which I in no way stipulate to, does this have anything to do with the OP conserving water in America’s Pacific Northwest?