Should I be worried about this voicemail?

Okay, so yesterday I was renewing my ad on Craigslist, and accidentally posted it twice. Simple mistake; could happen to anyone. The post was flagged and removed, but I reposted it again later, and I still have an active account.

What’s disturbing is the voicemail that was left on my phone within minutes of this. I think it’s a blocked number too, and the message was this:

Why you messin’ with the [?], bitch? Twelve dollars and fifty cents? Get the fuck off Craiglist. You gonna get flagged.

I can’t be sure about the mumbled word. Carpet? I’ve never messed up anyone’s carpet, and even if I had, I don’t remember any clients who talked like that. Something price? Yes, my rate is $12.50. I’m planning to raise it to $15, but right now I make more in volume this way. The thing is, there are people who will work for $10 or even eight. Perhaps someone thinks I’m cutting in on their action. I don’t know if flagging is the worst I have to worry about. Or perhaps it is.

Could something that sounds like “carpet, bitch” actually be “competition”?

Ah, that could be it. Still, jeez, I’ve been doing this for years and I never knew there was a housecleaner cabal.

“Why you messin’ with the carpet, bitch?” is a line I will have to use on Patience the Labrador.

That would freak me out too. It might just be some random rudeness, but you never know when you’re dealing with random strangers on craigslist.
Do you have a safety plan in place for when you go to a new client’s house? I’d be extra cautious about going to new clients for a while just in case this person does try to harm you or “teach you a lesson” in some way.

Well, someone else has told me that this is just the cost of doing business on CL. Says it’s happened to her a couple times, and nothing ever came of it.

No, I don’t have a safety plan, except a couple times I asked someone to come with me when I went to a remote area. I have a lot of spray bottles, though. Maybe squirt someone in the eyes with tile foam, then run like hell?

Well, to be fair that rug really pulled the room together.

(Can’t believe I’m the first.)

This aggression will not stand!

Well, that’s just, like, your opinion, man!

I’m guessing carpet = market.