Should I fry potatoes in bacon grease?

Back when I was doing living history, I’d fry up salt pork and then warm hardtack in the hot grease. Dee-licious!

If you have potatoes and bacon grease, you should not not do this!

I’m a vegetarian, and I would fry potatoes in bacon grease!

Uh huh. Uh huh.

I can’t believe this is even a question.

i think it is a secret brag.

We of a certain age grow up with one of these sitting next to the stove. (as well as one of these on the kitchen table)

Best advice ever!

What a great dinner last night!

Totally makes sense.

Hell, I STILL have one!

If you want to make great, ultimate fries without frying nuke the spuds first.

o Turn oven to 425
o Two TBSP’s of peanut oil in a baking dish in the oven
o peel your russet potatoes
o nuke peeled russets 3 minutes on each side (6 mins total)
o slice nuked russets into steak fries
o gently slide in hot peanut oil
o turn potatoes after 10-12 minutes
o roast another 5-7 mins
o Enjoy

Duck fat works even better than peanut oil… have never tried bacon fat but now I think I will have to give it a try.

During the war (the big one, WWII), this was an important part of the homefront, since (as I understand) kitchen grease was used in making explosives. There was supposedly one ad in which housewives were urged to take their fat cans to the butcher’s, where the grease was collected. :smiley:

Nowadays, most women would slap you if you told them to take their fat cans to the butcher’s.

Next time, throw some chopped onions in with your taters and bacon grease. Deeee-licious!

I had to laugh.:smiley:

God, now I am starving for po fried in bacon fat with onions.

Doesn’t everyone scramble eggs in bacon grease? That’s one of the highlights of having bacon and eggs.

I thought we were all doing that every time.

No, I cook my eggs sunny side up in bacon grease.

I meant that if you did scramble your eggs along with making bacon, wouldn’t you(and everyone) do it in the grease from the bacon?

Scrambled eggs in bacon grease … mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! The perfect basis for a Western omelette! :o