Should I get help?

I have on two occasions hallucinated. In the sense that I saw and felt and heard things that could in no way be real. There is almost always a olfactory hallucination that proceeds it, of burning electric. I know that it isn’t real. But I don’t know what to do. Can someone please give me some advice?

Reported for forum change.

This isn’t really the place for medical advice. However, it’s my understanding that occasional hallucinations aren’t really that rare. People just don’t talk about them because they don’t want other people to consider them crazy.

If you were falling asleep or waking up, hallucinations aren’t all that unusual at all.

Tell your doc. May be a form of epilepsy (used to be called temporal lobe epilepsy). See your doc. Very treatable if it is.

ETA: Olfactory hallucinations deserve investigation. That is not something that ‘normally’ occurs.

I am a psychiatrist, but I am not your psychiatrist and cannot diagnose or treat you over the internet, etc. etc.

What** KarlGauss** said. Olfactory hallucinations strongly suggest a seizure disorder.

Your medical history is critical here. Could be anything from nothing to sleep deprivation to reaction to some chemical or pathogen to psychological stress to drug flashback to any one of a zillion neurological problems.
It’s happened twice. Probably means there is a cause. I would tell my doc and not expect any immediate answers from him. If it continues to happen then you have a recorded history and a few things that may have already been ruled out. You are an extra step down the diagnosis track if there is anything.

That said, my money is on nothing serious happening and don’t worry.

Yes, you should see a doctor. The phantom burning smell is associated with many serious conditions involving the brain.

Medical advice is best suited to IMHO.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator