Should I give Firefly another chance?

A few years ago, my husband and I rented the Firefly series because everybody raves about it. We managed to get through the first two episodes, cringing at the unconvincing acting/dialog the whole time, before giving up.

But everyone acts like this is the best show ever made. So, does the acting get better as the series progresses? Did anyone else not like the first few episodes but end up enjoying the series?

We loved the new BSG series, but aren’t really sci-fi fans, per se.

So, give it another go, or does this show continue along the lines of the first eps?

I don’t think you’re gonna like my answer, but here goes.

If you want to watch Firefly and like it, then you really need to go get Buffy the Vampire Slayer (the tv series), and watch it all the way through.

Bonus points if you then go and watch Dr Horrible online.

If you can manage those, and have changed your mind about the “unconvincing acting/dialogue” (which I warn you, are fighting words) which are present in those series as well, THEN you can go watch Firefly and enjoy it.

Otherwise, I’d suggest something like Fringe or Six Feet Under or Pushing Daisies.

I love Firefly, but I would say if you didn’t like it after two episodes, you probably won’t like the rest of it. It is pretty consistent throughout. The dialogue may not be realistic, but it’s sharp and witty and a Joss Whedon trademark (see: Buffy: TVS). It is a big part of *Firefly’s *appeal.

I’d say watch it again. It is great and sounds like something you would like.

:waits for some naysayer to come in and bash it:

If you gave the series two episodes and you didn’t like it I think you gave it a fair shake. You probably just don’t like it and that certainly isn’t a moral failing on your part. I think the series was really good but I am bemused by the fanatical devotion many people have for the short lived series. I’m also one of the few who thought the movie Serenity was only enjoyable if you had watched the series beforehand.

Don’t.
Life is too short to read books you don’t like or watch tv shows that don’t suit you. Find something you like and watch that.

(I’m a total Whedon fan, but there’s not enough tea in China to get me to read Charles Dickens. Maybe you’d like the BBC version of Little Dorrit. Try renting that. )

Honestly, as a fan of Joss Whedon in general and Firefly in particular, I’d say don’t bother. No, it doesn’t change a lot. Which, to fans, is further evidence of its awesomeness - it came out of the gate running full charge, without wasting early episodes finding itself, like most shows do.

But if you’re not into that style of dialogue and acting, then you’re just not into it. There are plenty of things that you enjoy, I’m sure, that you’d be better off spending your time on.

Fans of Firefly (and Buffy) often say the witty dialogue is the main appeal. Personally, I found it painful and embarrassing. (Lord knows I tried to like it, because so many people had said that it was really clever.) It always seemed to me to be striving for “clever” and falling well short.

I think I got about a half-a-dozen eps in before asking one of the people who recommended it when the series found its footing and the awesome repartee she’d raved about was going to start. “But it’s brilliant out of the gate!” “Oh.”

Skip it. It isn’t your thing and never will be.

Oh Good Lord no. I find Buffy mildly entertaining at best, stupid at worst. No way I could get through the entire series.

Firefly, on the other hand, is brilliant, and I’ve watched the whole thing and Serenity several times.

The first time I watched the pilot of Firefly, I didn’t like it for the dialog either. The second time around (after watching Serenity), I was hooked.

Maybe you just have to get used to the quirky dialog style of the series. And the ain’ts, etc. They sounded especially odd coming from Mal’s and Kaylee’s mouths. Oh, the sincere-but-still-cringeworthily pronounced Chinese phrases took some getting used to as well.* :smiley:

But of course YMMV. Though if you do decide to give Firefly/Serenity another chance, I think you’ll change your mind about the acting. Especially in Serenity!

Loved “Buffy” and “Angel.” Couldn’t get into “Firefly” despite the obligatory two tries.

I love buffy and angel and almost gave up on firefly after the first episode. It’s no wonder Fox wanted another pilot. I pushed through the first few episodes and then loved it. (For completion sake, and as a total whedon bootlicker, I’d still say you have to push through the 1st seasons of buffy and angel before they get good, the first 3 or 4 fireflies, and the first 6 or 7 episodes of dollhouse. In all cases, I almost gave up before that threshold, and then got totally hooked afterward.)

I wouldn’t bother. I didn’t like it when it aired, but rewatched it later because so many people loved it. And still didn’t like it.

Don’t bother. I loved Firefly, but if you didn’t find it entertaining from the get go, you’re not going to enjoy it. Definitely disagree that you should watch seven seasons of Buffy (which is completely unrelated to Firefly, other than having the same creator) in order to watch a show that’s only fourteen episodes long! Life’s too short.

I say give it another shot. I didn’t like it when it first aired (FWIW I loved Buffy). I tried it again few years ago and didn’t like it but this past summer I gave it a third shot and ended up really enjoying it.

Which two episodes did you see? You said “the first two episodes”, but they were shown out-of-order on the air. If you saw the actual pilot (where they were trying to find a buyer for a supply of military rations they’d “acquired”) and one other episode, and it didn’t hook you, it probably won’t. If you saw only a couple of the weaker episodes, though, it might be worth another try.

I’m going to go against the grain and say that while I enjoyed Firefly, I also recognize its weaknesses in both the writing and acting aspects and can respect the o.p.'s negative opinions. The biggest strengths of Firefly is the often excellent cinematography and CGI effects, which are first rate, and its counter-genre sensibility. Instead of trying to resolve issues via the Particle of the Week method so popular on the various Star Trek franchises, it actually forces the characters to make hard choices and sacrifices. It also effectively integrated both elements of comedic relief and dark drama into the on-going storyline, and was clearly building a universe that was anything but a pleasant utopia in which only bad things happened outside the Alliance.

The writing, however, was uneven at its best. The stories were often highly contrived (is it really cheaper to ship live cattle from one moon to another?) and the dialogue could often descend to about an eighth-grade level. It didn’t help that when spoken by some of the cast–Morena Baccarina and Ron Glass in particular–it seemed especially stilted. Even from the naturally charismatic Nathan Fillion it was often somewhat awkward. Steven Baldwin as Jayne was awesome in just pure venal self-interest though, and Christina Hendricks’ couple of guest roles serve to highlight her talent beyond her gyroscopic abilities.

However, the really great moments–as when Mal, upon attempting to give back their money and release the henchman of their patron, is threatened with eventual death as a precursor to a future conflict, only to dispatch his would-be hunter into the port-side engine intake–really do set it aside from any other science fiction show. It implicitly acknowledges many of the absurd conventions of science fiction by lampshading them, as when Wash argues that telepathy isn’t real because that would be “like science fiction,” and then is bemused when reminded that they’re living on a space ship.

Firefly was basically a better show than anyone had right to expect it to be, but not the greatest show ever made by a far stretch. If you don’t like it, and it’s particular humor doesn’t ring for you in the first couple of episodes (which are actually some of the strongest, in addition to “Our Mrs. Reynolds” and “Out Of Gas”) then it probably just isn’t your cup of tea.

Stranger

I enjoyed it but did so from the first episode. I rented it on DVD mainly because of recommendations here and blew through the whole series in a few days.

Put me in the “If you don’t like it at this point, don’t force it” camp.

Adam Baldwin - totally unconnected to the Baldwin Brothers - is who meant. And his character is the best thing about the show. Were it not for Jayne, I wouldn’t have wanted to keep watching it.