Should I pipe in to let people know I'm interested in the debate?

A large part of my participation here - for better or for worse - is for exposure to people with different points of view. People like you! I will often come across a debate that I don’t want to heavily participate in, but find extremely interesting nonetheless. I’ll subscribe to the thread topic, or rather I won’t unsubscribe (these days Discourse will automatically watch topics I have read). Should I go that extra step and let you know I’m interested in the debate?

I used to think it would be more appropriate to just sit on the sidelines and watch. But all too often the conversation dies or moves in a different direction. I’ve toyed with picking up torches but let’s face it, it’s a lot of work (and introduces a lot of bias) to prep for a debate on someone else’s side, and I’ll never be as good as the real deal. Now I’m thinking, maybe I should just step in and say, “hey, that’s a really interesting point”. “I would love to read an argument against this”. Or pointing out little parts I agree with, or maybe parts I disagree with, without fully hijacking the thread with my own viewpoint. (Defending my personal viewpoint has the tendency to hijack the whole thread.)

I am not suggesting that anybody is under any kind of obligation to continue a debate for my viewing pleasure. Although I must admit that my motivation for piping in would in fact be to encourage people to continue a debate for my viewing pleasure… and I have mixed feelings about that.

I recently tried this approach in the topic, “For those who think the 2nd Amendment is for defending us against a tyrannical government”. What do you think? Good idea? Please no?

~Max

Just jump on in. The water is fine.

And if you get ignored or the thread dies after you post. Don’t take it personally. It happens to all of us.

It’s certainly culturally acceptable around here to pipe in. We don’t much care for just “I liked it” or “Go on …”, but a few sentences that show you actually read what’s been written is seen as a positive contribution.

Each thread has a natural lifetime that’s unpredictable. Trying to revitalize one that’s obviously flagging but hasn’t beaten the horse quit into burger yet is a good thing. But …

The later you are and the slower the thread has become, the bigger jolt of wake-up it’ll take to get it moving again. If you’re ill-disposed to put much effort into your quick-get-the-paddles! post, you’ll likely fail.

If you’re not willing to spend a few paragraphs pushing a particular POV you could at least Google up a couple useful cites or articles. We’d all gain from the fruits of your research.

Now that the board is on Discourse, I wish they would turn on the like button. A like is the perfect action to communicate “I appreciate your comment but have nothing further to add to this conversation”.

Now that’s a well-worn religious war around here. I’ll gladly take up the banner for the opposing view on that one.

“Likes” are pure clutter and encourage nothing but laziness.

I suppose I would not mind (much) if they didn’t appear as posts, but simply incremented some visible counter on the relevant post/thread. But a “like” button that results in a post, or worse yet a post with a full-body quote, are anathema. Og smash!

LSLGuy: “like” (grin!) (Seriously, I agree, “Like” buttons and counters are not really in the SDMB theme, which is more based on dialogue and content.)

A few “I like your reasoning here” or “Good argument!” lines go a long way.

As a long time lurker, there have been a few fascinating threads that could have been encouraged to continue had there been some audience reaction.

At least it would show someone else values the conversation