Should I upgrade to Civ V?

Embarked units move so slow tho…

You can mod that pretty simply if you want. Once you’ve got your own mod up and running (there’s a decent walkthrough on how to get that far), the code should look something like:
<GameData>
<Defines>
<Update>
<Set Value=“6”/>
<Where Name=“EMBARKED_UNIT_MOVEMENT”/>
</Update>
</Defines>
</GameData>

…except with indentations. That should make embarked units move four tiles per turn faster than normal. You can also alter which techs and leader traits boost embarked by how much.

Way back when I played CIV1, I named all my cities after the medications I was on. I was very depressed when France captured Prozac. :stuck_out_tongue:

Just got the new DLC and patch, about to fire her up for a gaming session. Wheeeeee!

Please take note- I am agreeing with Sitnum.

I feel the same. For me, it has really meant that amphibious assaults are a thing of the past.

Back to the question. Civ V is a very good game and getting better. I liked Civ IV very much (especially with the Bug Mod) but Civ V is a different creature.

They have installed new good features but also discarded previous good ideas.

One word of caution- ensure you have a computer that easily handles it otherwise it will get painfully slow. Also a lot of conflicts.

I see Max already mentioned this.

The latest patch has addressed some performance issues - I have a decent pc but it ran a little laggy previously but now that it’s had the latest patch it runs noticeably more smoothly.

I can’t get it to work with my couple-of-year-old Mac and my slow internet connection. Want my copy?

Does Steam just install the new patch? What’s the new version’s designation number so I know if I got it?

Steam will always have you up to date unless you specifically disable it. New version is 1.0.1.217

Thank you.

The Spain and Inca and ‘Conquest of the New World’ DLC looks cool, mostly for the scenario.

I can only give a big MEH for the Polynesian Civilization as well as th new scenario Paradise Found and the Babylon civ DLC.

Anyone play any of the these?

I’m looking for good scenarios to woo me back into the game.

So, if land units can just automatically turn into sea units, is there any real practical difference between land and water?

There are sea units that can’t turn into land units, and land units that have “embarked” have their movement speed slowed by a whole bunch, and are defenseless.

Slow is right but some units can defend themselves while embarked. That is a trait for one of the cultures. There is also a promotion for removing the amphibious assault penalty.

The Bablyon civ is good fun, haven’t played the Mongols yet as my strategy isn’t ever to attack city states. Haven’t played that scenario either.

Played both the Paradise and New World scenarios earlier and both were fun, still getting to grips with the alternative rules though.

In Civ5, it doesn’t feel like the computer cheats combat results. It was a common complaint that civ4 cheated combat results, and whether it did or not the combat system wasn’t very good. The one solid improvement I can say worked better than civ4 is the combat.

If it doesn’t seem like it’s cheating, that’s almost certainly evidence that it’s cheating (just in the player’s favor). Improbable results will come up occasionally, but when they do, players tend to think they shouldn’t have, and accuse the computer of cheating.

From what I’ve seen, combat in Civ V is less random than in previous Civ games. You get a pre-combat estimate of how much damage each unit will take, and it’s fairly accurate. The damage a unit takes will sometimes deviate from the estimate by one or two points, but I’ve never seen an upset like a spearman defeating a tank. It’s probably tied to the fact that it usually takes two or more combat rounds to kill a unit. I vaguely recall one of the devs saying that it is mathematically possible for a spearman to defeat a tank, but you’ll probably never see it. Civ I had the most random combat, and I’ll bet that the majority of people who played that game saw a phalanx kill an armor unit. Less randomness in Civ V combat means less of an illusion of a cheating AI.

Sure, are you serious?

Can the AI’s phalanx still destroy one of my TANKS!