Should you ever even go to an interrogation room with the police? Like, even with your lawyer?

I thought of this thread while reading the Alec Baldwin [accidentally] Kills Crew Member with Prop Gun thread in Cafe Society. I"m sure if everyone associated with the film Rust had refused to answer any questions by law enforcement, it would have been a great comfort to Hutchins’ family. (And at least initially, anyone associated with the film could have been seen as a potential suspect by cops.) With most questions unanswered, it would be unclear how the shooting occurred, so the case would not be the object lesson that could improve safety in other films, surely reassuring to the survivors of any future shootings on set. Win-win!

Thank heavens for the advice to people to clam up and not talk, even if they’re the victims, and even if their attorney is present. I know I certainly feel much safer knowing that if I’m assaulted again and refuse to talk, the assailant would be even more likely to get away to attack again. I mean, the last thing I’d want would be to be safer at the expense of the culprit’s freedom. As for the future victims, they should clam up and get real: all law enforcement agents are doofuses who’ll pin the crime on whoever they want, regardless of evidence, and they’ll secure convictions, too! After all, only 95-99% of people in jail are guilty of the crimes they’re charged with. We shouldn’t be working on ensuring there are fewer wrongful convictions, not when it’s so much easier not to talk to cops!

It can’t be emphasized too strongly: take your chances with the bad guys, people. They won’t arrest you for a crime you didn’t commit; they’ll just rape, assault, rob, or kill you or their next victim, and who wouldn’t prefer that?