Show your patriotism by urinating on Pink Floyd!

I was commenting on the people not the money.

Believe me, if I could show my patriotism by urinating on
Pink Floyd, I would.

Not Syd Barrett, but he had as much to do with any Floyd
that gets airplay as I do. It’s weird you mentioned him
as a sort of ‘keeper of the canon’ in the first post.

Anyway, I was disappointed after thinking I could accomplish 3
things with my next bladder release (show patriotism, show
dislike for Pink Floyd, and eliminate waste), only to find
someone who grew up with classic rock cares that another
version of a song has been done. Don’t worry, they won’t
ever play it on your classic rock station. Your frozen taste
in music can go on unchallenged, and your catalog of all
good music is complete.

Man, I’m starting to like this Pit thing.

:rolleyes:

I mentioned Barrett not because he was involved in most of the band’s more popular work, but because “Wish You Were Here” was written as sort of a tribute to him. (That’s my understanding, anyway.)

And as for your comments about my musical taste, I encourage you to bite my crank. Hell, I like quirky, creative covers–I just picked up the new Tori Amos album, which is nothing but. A good cover should bring something new to the original.

The version of WYWH described in the OP just blasted a big hole in the original and filled it in with canned claptrap. I wouldn’t have had any problem with it if it had been any good, but alas, it sucked hind teat. That’s my opinion, and you’re free to disagree with it, even if it does mean you have the musical taste of a tone-deaf howler monkey on crack. (And that, friends, is what makes this country great.)

Dr. J

Out of curiousity, and I am only responding to this post beccause you posted your agreement. What bands of modern times have either of you listened to, that make you experts on them? If this does not apply pesch, please feel free not to respond, but I would like to hear from both of you if it in fact does apply.

Erek

I still think Elton John sucks.

I remember Smokey Robinson singing the StarSpangledBanner at either the Super Bowl or World Series and sticking a verse of ‘America, The Beautiful’ in the middle of it. I didn’t even realize it until my friend pointed it out. It sounded nice, I didn’t hear anyone complaining, then again there wasn’t a SDMB around either back then. This was right after Marvin Gaye sang it soulfully at '84 all-star game.

I’m sure some people liked Fred’s version and some hated it, as evidenced by the posts here. I don’t think either group is right or wrong. I’m still trying to accept lights at Wrigley Field!

I just had to say that Libertarian’s flame was absolutely beautiful. A true work of art. Especially:

Bravo (or Brava, whichever the case may be)

Tbis reminds me a bit of a story about when James Cain was asked if he was upset that they butchered the movie version of his classic “The Postman Always Rings Twice”. He replied something to the effect, “Not at all, my version is sitting on the shelf.”

i’d just like to say that this is my first appearance in this thread…SORRY! NO TIME FOR THAT!

i recall scrolling through my entertainment choices the night the show in question originally aired. it was on nearly every goddamn channel! i dont remember what i ended up watching, unless it was the so. carolina football game, but i recall thinking to myself, “better stay away from this. this sounds like a stinker.”. i eyed it with suspicion much like suspect potato salad at a picnic. looks tasty, but you don’t know how far around the corner the mayo has gone.

and thats another thing: Operation Infinite Justice
GODDAMN! THATS EMBARRISSING! America-- Home of the free and land of the tacky tag line. i was unaware of varying degrees of justice. thought it either was or wasn’t…
guess i need to rethink that some.