shows you loved but only had one season vs shows that drag on forever

Well, “Firefly,” of course. A show that could have evolved through ten seasons. Vs. “The Good Wife,” a three-ep miniseries that refused to die for seven long, repetitious seasons of sulky RBF. Jesus, I don’t think anything on earth could have made that woman happy.

“Carnivale” was two seasons but technically only Book 1 of three. That one I sorely miss having all of.

Pig Sty.

There was this funny guy that had to live in a walk in closet with the dog.

Cancelled after one season.

Qadgop, “The Good Guys” ran two seasons. I STILL REMEMBER THE THEME SONG!! MAKE IT STOP!!!

I’m a good guy, hey, you’re another one, too.

Oh, my brain hurts.

I would say The Paper Chase, I know Showtime did make more episodes but that was many years later.

Before Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, and Edgar Wright hit it big with Shawn of the Dead, they made an absolutely brilliant and hilarious British show called “Spaced”. It ran for 2 serieseses, BUT there was only 14 total episodes. I highly advise everyone who likes those 3 to go find and watch all 14 episodes.

I didn’t give it a chance at first because I was bored to death with the “kooky civilian for some unlikely reason helps straight-laced cop solve case of the week” procedurals. But Limitless was actually a decent show.

Every other show with that formula, from Castle to The Mentalist, shouldn’t have lasted as long as they did.

No one’s mentioned “Journeyman” yet.

I didn’t watch it regularly, but Forever seemed like a good series in this genre. And therefore it only lasted a single season.

:dubious:

:cool:

I enjoyed “Trophy Wife” and “Surviving Jack”.

Breaking the rules a bit “Happy Endings”. Loved that show.

Q.E.D. (Quentin E. Deverill); lasted one month, six episodes.:frowning:

Was going to mention That Was The Week That Was (TW3), but it appears to have lasted a season and a half.

“The Highwayman” with Aussie footballer Jacko Jackson as the sidekick. 10 episodes on NBC in '87 then abruptly gone.

SNL has been Saturday Night Lame for at least two decades now.

“Under One Roof”: six episodes on CBS in '95 with James Earl Jones as the grandfather, for which he received an Emmy nomination. Has there ever been a successful drama with a predominately black cast in this country?

I continue watching because I find both Timothy Olyphant and Walton Goggins hypnotically fascinating actors. I also don’t find there is a compelling nor clear story arc, but I’ll finish the series just for these two characters.

Olyphant was also the chief reason I finished Deadwood.

This is one of my favorite Britcoms! Did you also like Black Books? (I think this is the title – it’s about a misanthropic bookstore owner). Green Wing is also a truly funny, surreal series.

IMHO, though there are many British series I could watch for multiple seasons, there is something to be said for having just two or three short seasons and ending before its milked to death like American series tend to do.

Maybe it’s a problem with shows based on Eastern mysticism, but as much as I loved Life and My Name Is Earl, they both seemed to go off the rails by season two.

Then there’s the show that started the grousing about short-lived sci-fi: Star Trek.

I know it got three seasons, but I wish Veronica Mars had gotten a longer run.

And let’s not forget, the original “Flash” with John Wesley Shipp.

I dunno about Supernatural going on too long. Yeah, I stopped watching years ago, but I can’t say it got worse. I just got tired of the plots repeating.

Here’s a controversial pick - Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Should have ended when she died.

Life only had 2 seasons.

At least there was a movie.

Which time?

Black Books is pretty good, but I do find that while I like the characters on it, it was not all that well written. IT Crowd was Graham Linnean’s superior show.

Dylan Moran, however, is a great comedian.

Anyone here ever see The Smoking Room? (I was going to include it here but noticed they had 2 seasons) I loved the concept, every episode taking place only in one room (we never leave it the entire series) and the characters come and go (to smoke) and to get involved in conversations. I remember seeing it WAAAAYYYYY back when BBC America used to air BBC shows.

I have “police squad” and “fawlty towers” on DVD and they still make me laugh.