Sigh, do I owe this lady a proper good bye? (online dating)

He’s got to at least be regretting the missed ice cream…

No, not really.

Really?..

Emphasis added.

What the heck does she mean by this? And if you’re not sure, what did YOU take her to mean by this? Is this code for “I’m not physically attracted to you, so don’t ever touch me except to shake hands”? Dude, were you friend-zoned on the first date? Are you attracted to her physically but put off by the android-like comment? The Dope likes details. More info, please.

She told me over the phone “I’m not like most girls. I’m not emotional”. At the time, I that to mean: “Acts like a guy”.

Over dinner, we talked more, she doesn’t display signs of affection. Doesn’t really delve too deep into her emotions, much less talk about them. Where as, I do.

I think it’s worth noting, both ladies in question, approached me first. I suppose it’s possible she finds me physically repulsive, but I’m not sure why she would approach me if she did. My profile pics are recent on the dating site.

To put it bluntly:

I’m the type of guy that will write you poetry and text it to you while you are at work.

She’s the type of girl who would make fun of me if I did.

Finding someone’s picture not-repulsive and then feeling genuine physical attraction in person are two VASTLY different things.

I find this fascinating.

She told you this before you met, and even though you know you “like tender moments,” her waving a yellow flag that she’s not (by her admission) a typical girl still made you want to meet her. Not challenging you, just very curious.

There is an expression that has proven to be true a zillion times in my life: “When people tell you who they are, believe them.”

I guess I’m just curious why you wanted to meet her enough to cancel Lady #1 even though Lady #2 tipped you off that she was not your type. Please don’t take offense–I’m just trying to understand your thought process. God knows, I’ve gone into relationships thinking I would be the one to change the guy. :smack:

You didn’t get any of this about her until you met in person? You weren’t tipped off in your phone calls?
Thank you for patiently answering my questions.

ThelmaLou, I made a friend. I’d call that a win. Wouldn’t you?

Heck, we’re going on two dates next week. One of which she’s going to introduce me to her circle of friends at a birthday party.

Sounds like you should have had photos.

There is nothing wrong with you doing you, but I think you are going to experience this reaction a lot.

I think she’d be good for you.

Ah, you do feel challenged by my questions. Sorry.

Not at all. :slight_smile:

It does sound like a win for you. Congrats.

Can I have her number?

Wait, I’m married. Never mind.

Okay, here’s a better was of articulating my feelings on the matter and why I went:

45% chance we click on a romantic level
45% chance we walk away as friends.
10% chance something less savory than the above 2.

I went with those perceived odds and it paid off.

Is that better? Sorry if I came off as defensive before. :slight_smile:

Thanks puzzlegal

Pro Tip: Don’t text poetry.

It’s reaped many benefits with my ex wife, and a couple of GFs. Not that’s what I was doing it for.
I also know better to write poetry to a girl I just started dating. I do it only after the relationship has risen to the appropriate level.