Signs of Decline

I heard this on the news last night. An eight year old girl lost both her parents and her older brother in a car crash. The driver of the other car survived with minor injuries,failed the breatheliser (sp?) and has a record for drink driving and driving without a license. He is now suing the girl and her relatives for earnings lost!!!
I couldn’t believe it.

Life is a fatal, sexually transmitted disease.

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again:

“inappropriate” use of, punctuation!!! and possessive’s instead, of plural’s

are a sign of the coming apocalypse. That and Shania Twain.

dont even START on that f-ing shania twain! she looks like a hick hooker, and her frigging tunes are so catchy, and they are EVERYWHERE!!!
oh wait, you guys probably dont hear them as much as we are FORCED to in canada because of the can con laws…
anyway…she sucks!(lit.& fig.)
and the price of clothes for fat chicks…you got that one, try being hugely bosomed…I pay upwards of $50 for an ugly bra!
definite sign of decline…loverock.

"the sex was so good, the neighbours needed a cigarette! ’

A good friend of mine called Shania Twain
“the best-paid lap dancer in the world”. Pretty much sums it up.

BTW, I swear before all gods, about a month ago I was in a department store, and some woman had a baby (girl), approx. 16-18 months, and she had named it…Shania!!!

Now now mr Hill? dont be knocking my punctuation" I go’t to be me<

A society that rewards it’s entertainers (including pro athtletes, as ARG220 pointed out) more than thoes who do truly important work, is in decline! Also, LOVEROCK!

Zymurgist

First of all, “society” doesn’t pay them; customers do. It’s not like your local pro sports teams get paid from your tax money. They get paid what the market will bear.

Second of all, entertainment is pretty important. Life would be pretty dull without it.

Third of all, unless you pay your doctor extra every time you visit, or slip your kids’ teachers a little bonus every week, shut up.

Phil, I’ll agree with you that the public demand has driven athlete’s compensation up. And it’s been able to rise a little higher than market because owners have manged to offload some of their overhead by getting a raft of new publicly subsidized tv studios (stadiums) abuilding of late. We’ve got one going up here in Houston that I’m not exactly high on.

Rodd – it’s worse than you think…at a game last week I had to sit in front of a woman constantly chastising her toddler son KEANU! I glanced around me and all the other people in the section were sharing the same look of horror I had.

beatle:
I know what you mean about the stadium! Did you read Ken Hoffman in the paper today? I hadn’t realized that it was going to be an open air-stadium! In Houston! With our “100-degree temperatures and 200-percent humidity”! Insanity!

The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
– Henry David Thoreau

quote:

A society that rewards it’s entertainers (including pro athtletes, as ARG220 pointed
out) more than thoes who do truly important work, is in decline!

First of all, “society” doesn’t pay them; customers do. It’s not like your local pro sports teams get paid from your tax money. They get paid what the market will bear.

Second of all, entertainment is pretty important. Life would be pretty dull without it.

Third of all, unless you pay your doctor extra every time you visit, or slip your kids’ teachers a little bonus every week, shut up. >>PLDennison

I don’t mind OTHER people paying vast sums of money to see an athletic event. I do resent cities/counties building new arenas for a specific sports team, and using MY tax money to do so!

I never gave my daughter’s teachers a bonus every week…but I did send them little gifts a few times a year. They seemed to especially like gift certificates for bookstores and craft stores. A nice fruit basket was always welcomed, too.

Lynn the Packrat

To me, the biggest symbol of our decline is Bill and Hilary Clinton. Looking back in history, I cannot find a president who has disgraced himself more. Moreover, most people don’t care. I guess we are happy with the lowest common denominator. My only hope is that the Clinton’s crimes will eventually be brought to light.

Lynn, I definitely agree with you on the stance that tax money should not be used to build professional team stadiums, unless and this is the big unless, the city/county gets free use of the stadium in return, for such things as holiday celebrations, city sponsored little league games, etc. And this would have to be in perpetuity.

As to the legal problems, this is what happens when you allow conflict of interest to occur without challenge. Laws are complex because complex laws pay lawyers who are big political supporters. Also, the more laws you have, the easier it is to avoid them. People sneer at tradition, but in the end it is far more effective at controling behavior than law is, peer pressure always is.

My personal evidence of the decline of the American society is our tax system. Every society that has allowed the taxman as many powers as ours, has collapsed. From the Sumatrins(sp?) to the Romans. Taxing the rich heavily has never worked, because the rich can afford to avoid it if it becomes to onerous a duty.

>>Being Chaotic Evil means never having to say your sorry…unless the other guy is bigger than you.<<

—The dragon observes

Dan Quail running for president.
It isn’t pollution that’s harming the environment. It’s the impurities in our air and water that are doing it.
– Vice President Dan Quayle

I believe we are on an irreversible trend toward more freedom and democracy - but that could change.
– Vice President Dan Quayle, 5/22/89 (reported in Esquire, 8/92)

The Holocaust was an obscene period in our nation’s history. I mean in this century’s history. But we all lived in this century. I didn’t live in this century.
– Senator Dan Quayle, 9/15/88 (reported in Esquire, 8/92, The New Yorker, 10/10/88, p.102)

This election is about who’s going to be the next President of the United States!
– Senator Dan Quayle, 9/2/88 (reported in Esquire, 8/92)

One word sums up probably the responsibility of any vice president, and that one word is `to be prepared’.
– Vice President Dan Quayle, 12/6/89 (reported in Esquire, 8/92)

If we do not succeed, then we run the risk of failure.
– Vice President Dan Quayle, to the Phoenix Republican Forum, 3/23/90 (reported in Esquire, 8/92) Also reported by Reuters, 5/2/90

Let me just tell you how thrilling it really is, and how, what a challenge it is, because in 1988 the question is whether we’re going forward to tomorrow or whether we’re going to go past to the – to the back!
– Senator Dan Quayle, 8/17/88 (reported in Esquire, 8/92)

What a waste it is to lose one’s mind. Or not to have a mind is being very wasteful. How true that is.
– Vice President Dan Quayle winning friends while speaking to the United Negro College Fund, 5/9/89 This gem has been added to Bartlett’s `Familiar Quotations’. (reported in Esquire, 8/92) (reported in the NY Times, 12/9/92)

Take a breath, Al… Inhale.
– Vice President Dan Quayle politely cutting off Senator Al Gore during the VP Debate in Atlanta, 10/13/92. Gov. Zell Miller of Georgia said that Dan Quayle reminded him of one of his grandkids when they’ve had too much sugar.

Republicans understand the importance of bondage between a mother and child.
– Senator Dan Quayle, US News and World Report (10/10/88)

Hawaii has always been a very pivotal role in the Pacific. It is in the Pacific. It is a part of the United States that is an island that is right here.
– Vice President Dan Quayle, Hawaii, 4/25/89 (reported in Esquire, 8/92)

Welcome to President Bush, Mrs. Bush, and my fellow astronauts.
– Vice President Dan Quayle addressing the 20th anniversary celebration of the moon landing, 7/20/89 (reported in Esquire, 8/92)

Mars is essentially in the same orbit… Mars is somewhat the same distance from the Sun, which is very important. We have seen pictures where there are canals, we believe, and water. If there is water, that means there is oxygen. If oxygen, that means we can breathe.
– Vice President Dan Quayle, 8/11/89 (reported in Esquire, 8/92)

The loss of life will be irreplaceable.
– Vice President Dan Quayle after the San Francisco earthquake, 10/19/89 (reported in Esquire, 8/92)

Bobby Knight told me this: ``There is nothing that a good defense cannot beat a better offense.’’ In other words a good offense wins.
– Senator Dan Quayle, in a speech to the City Club of Chicago, comparing the offensive capabilities of the Warsaw Pact with the defensive system of NATO, 9/8/88 (reported in Esquire, 8/92)

“If caterwauling cockroaches isn’t one of the seven signs, it should be” - Opus.