Signs of spring in the city

Today, while walking across the Boston Public Gardens I saw workers unloading the swan boats (in sections) and it struck me as one of the undeniable signs of spring. Other things that assure me that spring is here: seeing the first Duck Boat, the Boston Marathon, and Lilac Sunday in the Arboretum.

What are the sure signs of sping in your cities?

The kids bring their kids out to play (bare in mind that I live in a small rural town in PA)

Well, it’s the time of the year when last year’s mobsters start bobbing to the surface in the Hudson River . . .

I actually do have a favorite early-spring block: I think it’s 35th–36th Street, on Madison Avenue. Right now the trees are blossoming, and when you walk along that block, the tops of the trees block the view of the skyscrapers in the background. All you can see below the blossoms are the 19th-century buildings across the street. So as long as no vehicles are going by, you can momentarily imagine yourself strolling along in 1880 New York on a spring morning . . .

Today, the water fountains were turned on in Chicago public parks.

Lake Nokomis is changing from solid back to liquid here in Mpls, and the robins have been back for about two and a half weeks.

Hrmm, nobody has mentioned poisoning pidgeons in the park yet.

UPS Men in Shorts! I’m not creative enough to come up with anything original.

The homeless start shedding layers of clothing, going from 8 to only 4 or 5.

Usually when the first Robin of spring smacks itself into our greenhouse wall…
THUNK!!! Woohoo!! Spring’s here!!

:rolleyes:

I saw a squirrel airing out his nuts today.

Living in Southern California, it’s kind of hard to tell when winter ends and spring starts.

But I’ve got to agree with chula that the UPS shorts are certainly a good barometer!

Rowr! (hey, and I normally HATE brown clothing…)