Silence of the Lambs type movie titles?

By that, I mean a movie whose title seems to having nothing to do with the film- that is, until one of the character delivers a little soliloquy that explains the relationship for the viewer. Is this common? The only other one I could think of was the little seen Matt Dillion/Gary Sinise/William Fichtner film Albino Alligator, in which I think Fichtner, an imbecile in the film, is somehow able to go into this pretty deep monologue about how their current predicament is similar to that faced by an albino alligator in the wild, or something like that. Or if the relationship to the title is depicted in some other fashion, that would be good as well.

Chasing Amy was exactly that type of title. There is no character in the movie named Amy. But late in the movie one of the characters delivers a monologue about an old girlfriend named Amy and how his relationship with her compares to the main character’s current relationship.

I nominate The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds and The Squid and the Whale. Both titles refer to scientific studies which are metaphors for complicated, destructive family relationships.

This is one my all time favs, I can’t believe I didn’t think of it. :smack:

The Stand does not have an intuitively obvious title for either the book or miniseries.

One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest

You have no idea why The Postman Always Rings Twice until the end of the movie, when it figures into a monologue by the main character.

For the record, my postman never rings at all, but that’s beside the point.

To Kill A Mockingbird, both book and movie.

Oh, and please explain the correlation if you wish. For those interested, Effect of Gamma Rays… is about a smart girl growing up in a dysfunctional environment, and she does a science project where she shows that gamma rays most often produce weird mutations in marigold, but on rare occasion produce a really beautiful marigolds, like her. Another girls project involves skinning and boiling a cat and then reconstructing its bones, whose process she gleefully reports to the audience- a really weird moment in film, but enough of that hijack.

Sling Blade

North By Northwest.

The title is a misquote from Hamlet: ‘I am but mad north-northwest; when the wind is southerly, I know a hawk from a handsaw.’ The Cary Grant character pretends madness in the movie thus supplying a (tenuous) link with the title.

I thought the “Northwest” referenced in the title was the airline.

Don’t Eat the Daisies
Elephant
The Color Purple

Nero Wolfe novels frequently have titles like this, and any Nero Wolfe movies or TV movies can be equally obtuse.

Fair point but the plane travels west.

The Right Stuff

Toward the end, Gordo Cooper (Dennis Quaid) is waxing heroic about other pilots he has known, and is just about to say the title phrase when he’s interrupted.

The lead character’s name in Breaker Morant isn’t explained until quite a ways into the film (it’s a nickname, for a horse-breaker). The meaning of Close Encounters of the Third Kind was explained on some of the movie posters, but not for awhile in the film, either - if ever, IIRC. We watch The Matrix for a long time before the meaning of the phrase is explained; ditto Ratatouille. The word “insurrection” is never actually used in Star Trek: Insurrection, and I remember from an article at the time that Paramount was concerned no one would know what it meant.

For the 80s movie aficionados in our midst, there’s St. Elmo’s Fire. OK, the bar they go to is called St. Elmo’s, but it’s not until Billy climbs the fire escape at Jules’ place after she freaks out and gives his whole little speech punctuated by blasting fireballs of AquaNet at the ceiling that we get the connection between movie title and theme:

One that’s still in theaters: In The Valley Of Elah.

The movie’s about how many soldiers fighting in Iraq come back psychologically unable to re-adapt to civilian life, with occasional dire consequences. The title comes from a story that Tommy Lee Jones, the father of a murdered serviceman, tells to the young son of a police officer at bedtime. The kid’s name is David, and Jones tells the kid the story of King David and his battle with Goliath in the valley of Elah.

Dunno if that really counts. It’s a movie about a rat in France looking for better food. Not much mystery there.

This is a weird one. According to something I heard on the radio, the US movie is an homage to an earlier BBC TV drama of the same name, which is about violence in Northern Ireland - which in turn is named after the phrase “the elephant in the living room”, which based on an adage about a huge phenomenon (or problem) that is routinely ignored.