Silicon Valley Season 4 (open spoilers)

It was amusing that he never quite stomped on his own dick with both feet like Dinesh managed to in his short tenure with the COPA screwup.

Well, and I don’t see the fridge miracle as being that far fetched, either. Sure, updating you fridge’s software automatically from it’s peers is a dumb thing to do. But this is the IoT we’re talking about here. Passwords that are hard coded into the might as well be impossible for grandma to update firmware would be a colossally dumb thing to do, but for some reason they did it. I’m willing to accept the fridge’s unlikely update scheme as a solution to that problem, if nothing else.

Personally, I don’t really mind Richard being neurotic, etc. I probably wouldn’t want to watch if he made good decisions all the time. In fact, I’m a tabs guy. When editing someone’s code that doesn’t use them, I mutter vague insults under my breath. I’m not the kind of guy who would mess with someone’s screensaver over a girlfriend, or the kind of guy who would man-in-the middle a bunch of access points to distribute a hack. But I’ve scolded people who thought messing with someone’s screensaver was a good idea when they were trying to prove a point, and I’ve known more than one person who I wouldn’t trust within my own network. So, it’s believable as hell to me.

If I have a desire for a spin-off of this series, it’s for a spin off focusing on Donald/Not really Jared. He’s so transparently crazy and simultaneously principled. I mean, he fired his imaginary friend due to an HR violation. Yeah, I want to know more about how he became him.

^This. The creators have been very clever in the parsimonious way they’ve doled out information about Jared over the show’s seasons–always leaving us wanting more. The character is, as you say, both crazy and principled–I can’t think of any comparison (which is unusual for me).

I suspect that the reason he’s so intriguing is because the information about him is sparse. I suspect that a series about him would completely destroy everything interesting about him.

You could be right, but I’d give it a chance anyway.

I’d rather they didn’t. I mean, we know enough. He was abandoned as a child, lived in an orphanage for a while, then on the streets, had to do some pretty horrific stuff, and he ended up an empathetic, loyal person with a knack for attracting women.

It’s better to get it in occasional drips. Filling out the story would be a tedious attempt at hitting all the known factors, like the Star Wars prequels. After the first three movies, we knew all we needed to know about Darth Vader. Filling in the background added nothing interesting or valuable.

Well, Vader is a terrible example. Lucas screwed that one up eight ways from Sunday. A good counter example would be Better Call Saul. So far, it’s been anything but a let down.

We don’t know nearly enough of Donald’s back story. Why the hell does he speak German in his sleep? How do his experiences lead him to being an empathetic, loyal person? I’m not saying we need a Better Call Jared, but I can imagine an interesting way to tell his story.

This Jared Trailer is so perfect!

I’d see that movie.

That is an awesome trailer!

I’m re-watching The Office right now and completely forgot about the Gabe, which is essentially the same character to Jared, played by Zach Woods. He plays my favorite SV character and I totally love him on The Office as well.

“You win a friendship!”

Which has the bigger fridge miracle?

“Server Error” episode of Silicon Valley or Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull?