Silicon Valley Season 4 (open spoilers)

Just finished season 4. There’s so much I love about this show but I thought no I’m going to end up hating it because I just can’t stand the freaking main character Richard Hendricks.

He’s a fucking asshole moron in
the guise of an underdog hero.

He drives too many idiot-plot points with his avoidable errors based mostly on his petty jealousies and insecurities, his outsized ego, and his inability to control his vindictive impulses.

I really won’t be happy if the series ends with his success. He really doesn’t deserve it.

I’m really upset that this marks the end of Bachman on the show but we get two more seasons of Richard. I’m not interested in or invested in his personal struggles at all.

I love all the other characters though.

Up until this season’s finale, I thought he was just so single-mindedly obsessed that he forgot to consider others. This episode was just uncomfortable to watch, though. On the flip side, I like Gavin more every season.

This was another solid season to me, up until the last episode. Not only was it uncomfortable, but as an IT guy I found the “Deus Ex Smart Fridge” ending completely unbelievable.

This season got progressively worse for me. I haven’t really enjoyed watching Richard become Gavin. He gets less and less interesting. If that’s the key takeaway, I’d rather they spent more time on other storylines.

I did wonder if “blood boys” was a thing.

Yeah Richard went form driven and quirky to D-Bag.
Jin-Yang (probably not how he spells it) was hilarious this season.

It would be amazing if the actual arc of the show turns out to be Gavin’s sincere redemption as an executive, roaring back to Hooli, Steve Jobs-like, and Richard reluctantly taking a job as a low-level coder at a midwestern insurance company.

Like many things on the show, yes, it is. And I agree that Richard was unlikable towards the end (and even earlier) but that’s the whole point.

And various articles have pointed out that all of the characters (Richard, Dinesh and Gilfoyle) would in the real world have no trouble getting high-paying tech industry jobs rather than being struggling and broke, but that would be boring to watch.

Some of the funniest bits are where we find out more about Jared’s background, and when Russ Hanneman rants (particularly his rant about losing billionaire status).

I thought the last episode was great fun, particularly the scene of Jack Barker in the Chinese factory. IMO Richard is basically a decent chap who became unhinged with his technological obsession. It’s clear he cares deeply about his latest idea in a way which he didn’t earlier and that distorted his values. I think the show will miss Bachman who IMO was the best character but I will still be watching.

I laughed my ass off at that part. This show is a lot like a Doonesbury cartoon. Finely tuned to the absurdities of the times we live in. As someone who lives in Silicon Valley (and worked there for many years), I really, really enjoy this show.

Every time I watch that show I can’t help thinking, “So, Bill Haverchuck grew up to be Bertram Gilfoyle? Yeah, that makes perfect sense!” :smiley:

Huh, I read it as just the opposite. Richard is an ass who we all mistook for a nice guy at the beginning of the show because he happened to be an underdog and a genius.

He doesn’t really date because he’s socially awkward. But instead of looking to improve himself he blames the women he meets for not “getting” him and their eventual boyfriends for “stealing” them. And then he acts out resulting in comeuppance (at least for a time).

He’s bad at business. But he thinks because he’s a great computer scientist it can’t be him that’s wrong; it must be the “system” that’s rigged against the little guy. And his fumbling attempts to game the system land him in more hot water.

It’s classic hubris. His successes only bring his preexisting character flaws into focus.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What about the scene where he refuses to lie in the trial in Season 2? Clearly his behavior towards the end of this season is terrible but my interpretation is that it is because he is desperate and he really cares about his latest idea and can’t bear to see it fail.

If I have a criticism of the show, it is the macro-arc of the story which is repeated cycles of the Pied Piper failing and picking itself up without going anywhere in particular. I think in the last couple of seasons it would have been more interesting to see the company succeeding for some time and moving in interesting directions both technologically and comedically.

Data storage is not that interesting; something like robots, drones or self-driving cars would have been much more fun. There was that one amazing scene where Jared was trapped in a self-driving car and ended up in an automated factory in the middle of the ocean.

Meh. Back in season 2 he was still too scared to lie in court. He hadn’t really had a taste of success yet.

Pied Piper hasn’t gone much of anywhere but the tech they developed is out in the (fictional) world. Hooli is using it in multiple ways. Other firms are catching up. I can buy it being a world changing thing that it’s inventors never really are able to capitalize. It’s happened more than once in real life.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wait’ll Richard starts selling Meth to finance his start-up.

I suspected it was, given how much of the show is reality-based. Richard’s growing unlikability may be the point, but I wish they’d take(n) a different direction.

Of course they could, but they don’t want to. They want to have a start up and make a fortune, which is definitely a thing in the Valley.

Yes, he had and has some interesting streaks of morality, which is one reason I’ve been disappointed with this season. (The patent troll this season is another example.) They seem to be shifting to having Jared as the moral compass of the team, which is less compelling. I did like Jared as “Chambers”, who then fired himself. :smiley:

Agreed. I thought this was the point of the series, not the moral decay of the characters (yes, I know, we can do both). Watching as a company moves from idea to garage to series A, and so on, with all of the bumps and lumps along the way.

Dinesh has been the secondary character this season. Having shopped his girlfriend to the Feds, and about to walk around hoolicon with a faux bomb on his back, and detonater in hand. Jared is getting annoying, almost like expecting Google to do no evil, and being exasperated when it does. I liked Jared better as his alter ego.

I have mixed feelings. The show is still hilarious, but it’s veering away from technical accuracy in an annoying way, and the Richard character is evolving in an unpleasant way that makes him hard to watch,

The idea of a distributed peer to peer internet is ridiculous. The fridge miracle was ridiculous. This show usually gets the tech details right, and the imaginary stuff has been at least superficially plausible. But the way this show is going, soon they’ll be solving their problems by reversing the polarity in the computer core to make the data flow backwards.

I agree with this. One of the more interesting human stories about Silicon Valley is the way massive amounts of money–and the power that goes with money–changes people from idealists to…something else. Richard began as an idealist who believed his new ideas could change the world, and as he’s tried to make that happen, he’s done awful things, due to his existing character flaws.

I’m enjoying the way the character has developed, particularly in comparison with his foil, Gavin–a man with big ideas who became a cartoonishly colossal asshole. Richard has the potential to be just as self-obsessed–the flip side of being “driven.”

(Worth noting: the show’s creators apparently had a different character arc in mind in the beginning–more of a triangle, with Peter Gregory being the third point. Of course the death of actor Christopher Evan Welch changed all that.)

I’m not equipped to argue this, but surely you’ll concede that the idea of an alternative to the Internet is bound to be appealing to viewers. It’s revolutionary enough to make plausible the fervor with which Richard et al pursue it, and it’s thought-provoking enough to bring viewers back for the next season (‘how might this play out???’) And, it does appear to the non-technical mind to have a reasonable connection to a compression algorithm–the McGuffin that’s been a plot driver since the show’s beginning.

There are other ways to build that storyline out in the absence of Peter Gregory. It has my vote.

I thinke he’d rant reading this, that you didn’t refer to it as the Three Comma Club.

There were still plenty of good jokes this season, but I wasn’t a big fan of “evil Richard”. Also I wish they had stuck with some of their storylines for a little longer – in particular, I wanted to see more of CEO Dinesh!