Silly line from Princess Bride

I’m a big Princess Bride fan, I’ve seen it quite a few times. I’m reasonably sure that Inigo says “I’m going to duel him left handed”. I also am reasonably sure of what Andre the Giant says in each of his lines, which took a bit of uzzling in some cases and was made much clearer by the books.

Also, the proper spelling of the characters names are Fezzik and Vizzini. (Not to mention Inigo, Westley and Buttercup).

YES!
Closed captioning via DVD confirms!
“I’m going to DO him left-handed”
“You know what a hurry we’re in!” :wink:
“It’s the only way I can be satisfied.”

DO, DO, DO, DO, DO, DO!

It’s STILL dirty!

:wink:

(forgive me as I’ve had a really bad day and this just makes me smile!)
:smiley:

Well, okay. But I still say “duel” makes more sense. BTW - I wonder how they get the subtitles for older movies rereleased on DVD - do they go back to the original script? or do they just have someone listen to the movie and type what they hear*?

*[sub]Waenara crosses fingers that she still might be right.[/sub]
Actually, I just went and consulted my copy of the PB book - and it doesn’t have the line.

Various online scripts (top couple of hits on Google) have differing opinions: “duel”, “duel”, “do”.
Oh well.

Quoting The Princess Bride? Easier to just reprint the entire script and be done with it… :wink:

Hmmmm… One of my qualifications for Mr. Right is that he can quote at least one line from the Princess Bride.

My fave is: ‘he’s only mostly dead’.

My second favourite is the Dread Pirate Roberts to Westley: ‘I’ll probably kill you in the morning’.

The DVD I have offers subtitles only in French and Spanish. The lines are pretty clearly enunciated in English:

“I’m going to duel him left handed.”

“You know what a hurry we’re in!”

“It is the only way I can be satisfied. If I use my right, it will be over too quickly.”

“Oh, have it your way.”

French:

“Je le tuerai de la main gauche.”

“Tu said que nous sommes pressés!”

“C’est la seule façon dont je peux être satisfait.”

“Si j’utilise ma droite, c’en sera trop vite fait.”

“Comme tu veux.”

Spanish:

“Lo haré con la mano izquierda.”

“¡Sabes que tenomos mucha prisa!”

“Esa será la única manera en que estaré satisfecho.”

“Si uso mi derecha, se termina todo muy rápido.”

“Hazlo como te gusta.”

The French says kill and the Spanish says do.

Darn!
That was going to be my next resource, but I think my boss still has it.
He’s a slow reader. I just love to tear through it, so I can start over. :slight_smile:

I was wondering about how they did closed captioning too. I googled it, but the results are kinda vague about the “How” part of it.

In some cases, closed captioning is taken directly from the script. See any Shakespeare movie, for example, and the captioning is letter perfect.

In other cases, though, I think that the captions are entered in by someone who just watches the film and transcribes as best as they can. I noted, for example, in the DVD subtitles for 1776 that Adams refers to Chase as “vacant face”. The line from the script is “bacon face”, which is what Chase really was called behind his back due to his corpulant and flushed countenance.

Closed captioning isn’t something I would use to find verbatim wording. The people doing it don’t seem to have a clue on some DVDs.

Although it’s not as much fun for you, it’s definitely “duel.”

Well without a way to actually verify without getting a script from MGM, we’ll just have to call it a happy lil’ difference of opinion. :wink:

I keep hearing it as “do” also. Thank you to all who helped this inquiring dirty mind :slight_smile:

The script says “dual”. I always thought it was “do” as well.