Silly question about Brit TV show and real estate

Last night we watched the first episode of the Sarah Jane Adventures, which was kind of fun. I noticed that Sarah Jane’s house is pretty nice. As a matter of fact it seems to me that a real house like that would probably be worth a heck of a lot of money–maybe £800K? One wonders just how SJ manages to afford such a house, but anyway, what do actual Brits think? Is that a pretty expensive sort of house, or what?

Does Brit TV in general follow the common American TV practice of housing characters in apartments and houses they could never afford in real life (example: the Manhattan apartments in “Friends”)? I haven’t gotten that impression before, but the only house-based UK show I can recall offhand is “Keeping Up Appearances”.

As for Sarah Jane, a later episode credits her with “important friends”; maybe they’re important enough to get price breaks on real estate. I doubt that freelance investigative journalism pays very well (unless you set up a side line in blackmail :wink: , which our Sarah Jane would surely never do).