Similar Sounding Songs

Heck you can do within Berry’s catalog: School Daze/No Particular Place to Go.

In the same vein, the other day I heard for the first time The McCoys’ “I Got to Go Back” when I said to myself, “hey, isn’t this Hang on Sloopy?” Yep, same band did Sloopy and didn’t really change all that much about it. It’s not as self-plagiarizing as the Berry songs, but it’s just a rehash of Sloopy.

The best example for the case of an artists plagiarizing himself is the trifecta by Big Joe Turner of “Shake, Rattle And Roll”, “Flip, Flop And Fly” and “The Chicken And The Hawk (Up, Up And Away)”. They’re all basically the same song.

(and sorry to nitpick you, @pulykamell , you’re one of the most knowledgeable and valuable posters when it comes to music, but the Chuck Berry song is called “School Days”.)

That’s hilarious. They kind of had to know, right?

When U2 released Songs of Innocence, the song Raised by Wolves was noticed to be similar to a pre-existing Raised by Wolves song from a more obscure band.

Anyone remember this? And anyone have a link to older version? I believe it was just a massive coincidence since the other band was really small-time.

One would think somebody noticed.

Heh. I paused there, but didn’t bother looking it up. I think I was just flashing back to Spike Lee’s film.

Of course “Fourth Time Around” was an obvious parody of “Norwegian Wood”. Lennon was stunned, baffled and shattered by it.

And another whose first sixteen bars are exactly like Shakira’s “Estoy Aquí”

The Kingsman (of “Louie, Louie” fame) doing “Killer Joe” and the McCoys singing " Hang on, Sloopy"

This were out almost at the same time. I don’t if there were any lawsuits. Maybe they both just sampled the same song.

I am surprised no one has mentioned the similarities between Nirvana’s “Smells Like Teen Spirit” and Boston’s “More than a Feeling”. Nirvana has even acknowledged it:

Yeah, Kurt has said that but to me it sounds hardly alike.

More than a Feeling is G-C-Em-D – a typical “four chords of pop” song with a I-IV-vi-V sequence.
Smells Like Teen Spirit, if we transposed it to G, would be Gm-C-Bb-Eb, so i-IV-bIII-bVI, hardly the same.

The rhythm is reminiscent, I suppose, and I have no doubt he’s telling the truth that he was influenced by it, but it doesn’t sound to my ears like Smells Like Teen Spirit.

For me it was way easier to mistake Pacino for Andy Garcia.

Back to song stuff -

The opening riff of Chicago’s “25 Or 6 To 4” and Page’s guitar in the chorus of Zep’s “Baby I’m Gonna Leave You”.
The notes are more similar than the phrasing and the speed, and very similar descending progression.

Here’s a current one that’s pretty obvious:

Olivia Rodrigo, “good 4 u”

Paramore, “Misery Business”

Listen to these two and tell me they aren’t basically the same song, aside from lyrics:

Beck - Jack-ass

And Insane Clown Posse - Another Love Song

If I could find a weirder juxtaposition of artist and genre I’d be fairly surprised.

Just thought of another: The Soundtrack Of Our Lives stole shamelessly from the Kinks’ “Waterloo Sunset” for “Bendover Babies”:

Am I the only one who hears similarities between Trans Siberian Orchestra’s “Wizards in Winter” and Weird Al Yankovic’s “Virus Alert”?

It’s intentional. The second is a parody of the first (according to Wikipedia).