Similar Sounding Songs

Wikipedia has the Weird Al song as a style parody of a band called Sparks (which I’m not familiar with.)

Well, that makes it less fun but I enjoyed the juxtaposition when I discovered it in the wild. :wink:

Probably the most famous Sparks song in the UK is This Town Ain’t Big Enough For The Both Of Us and my (non musical) ears can hear influences appearing in the Weird Al song

TCMF-2L

I remember remarking about these two when “Beds are Burning” became a bit of hit back in the 80’s. Nobody seemed to notice, but the bass to me sounds very similar.

The rhythms of how the chords are strummed are the same but the chords are quite different and the melodies are nothing similar.

Twist and Shout is very much like La Bamba.

Here’s one I heard this morning. The chorus of each song is quite similar.

“Bring the Boys Home”
Artist Freda Payne
Album Contact, 1971
  “Band on the Run”
Artist Paul McCartney & Wings
Album Band on the Run, 1973

~Max

Neil says he intentionally tweaked the lick from “Satisfaction” for “Mr. Soul”:

Every time the Eurythmics song Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This) comes on, I get all geared up and ready to sing Sunglasses at Night – and then I feel like a fool when I realize that after all these years, I’m still making the same mistake.

My wife has pointed out to me that the guitar solo in Old 97s “Salome” (starting around 2:30) is a rip-off of the Supremes’ “I Hear A Symphony”.

Jan and Dean, and then the Beach Boys released these two songs in the 60’s - identical tune; different lyrics.

Two by Joe Raposo:

Speaking of Sesame Street…

I always want to start singing “Sunnnny day…” after the intro.

The riff from Motörhead’s “No Class” is directly lifted from ZZ Top’s “Tush”. I’m still not clear which song I like better.

Related to this, one definition of pop music interpolaton is

In popular music, interpolation (also called a replayed sample) refers to using a melody—or portions of a melody (often with modified lyrics)—from a previously recorded song but re-recording the melody instead of sampling it. Interpolation is often used when the artist or label who owns the piece of music declines to license the sample, or if licensing the piece of music is considered too costly.

and the link there goes on to list dozens of examples.

Manic Monday and 1999 always seemed like the same song to me. Then I found out Prince wrote them both. That made sense.

My four-year-old is adamant that the Naked Eyes version of “Always Something There to Remind Me” sounds like Home Alone. I’m pretty sure the connection is the orchestral chimes in the background of both. It’s bizarre and subtle, but I hear it.

He’s also made other, more obvious connections. Like declaring “Girls Just Want to Have Fun” sounds like The Goonies.

I have been exploring Jackie DeShannon’s work in the last weeks. I first stumbled upon her cover of “The Weight” by the Band on a compilation, but then I heard her “Laurel Canyon” album and the song “I Got My Reason”. A blatant rip-off, and the kicker is that “The Weight” cover comes three songs later on that album, so it’s obvious.

That’s pretty blatant. Here’s another one: