Simon & Garfunkle: "akaveka"???

OK, I realize this is a very strange question, but here goes…

On the Simon & Garfunkle “Greatest Hits” album (which I first bought on 8-track, then on cassete tape, and recently on CD) there is a rendition of “Feeling Groovy”. It was obviously recorded during a live concert, as you can hear the audience clapping as the song starts to play.

Anyway, the first thing you hear when the track begins is somebody on stage (Paul Simon?) saying “…wide open.” Then, just before the music starts, somebody close to the microphone says something. I’ve listened to it again and again over the years, and it always sounds the same to me:

“Akaveka”

The word is said in sort of a loud whisper, and I’ve always wondered what was really being said and what, if anything it meant. I suspect it is merely some really bizarre form of sneeze, but I thought I’d ask on the off chance there is some less mundane explanation…

Any thoughts?

Barry

All due respect, Larry, I never made out “Akaveka.” You can hear someone -I always thought it was Grafunkel- whisper something and laugh, but beyond that we may be reaching. :slight_smile:

But how 'bout the blatant attempts on the GH at making some songs sound live! Like the applause that carries over into the obviously studio version of “Bridge.” Who do you think yer foolin there, boys? Even worse- they start the studio version of “Kathy’s Song” and then add appreciative applause! Talk about silly.

DOH. Sorry, Barry. :smack:

Well, as long as we’re hijacking this thread to talk about studio vs. live versions…

I first heard the GH album on 8-track when I was a kid and didn’t realize that some of my favorite songs (“The Boxer” and “Scarborough Fair”) had significant overdubbing (I think that’s the word) done in a studio. Years later I heard these songs performed at a live concert and was disappointed to discover that, when performed live, much of the “studio effects” were missing. “Scarborough Fair,” for example, was sung straight without the additional “Canticle” laid on top of it (you know, the part that goes “Generals order their soldiers to kill” and all that).

I still think it’s “akeveka,” though…

:slight_smile: