Simple suggestions to alleviate oil dependency

I’ll start: put a tall gear in every transmission.

My present car has a 5.7 liter engine, yet in sixth gear (.50:1 ratio) I can get close to 30 MPG on the highway. Also, I noodle along at 1,900 RPM at 70 MPH - thus reducing wear and tear on the engine.

By contrast, a previous car I had with a 5.0 liter engine and a five speed never made 30 MPG and turned nearly 3,000 RPM at 70.

Why do so few cars have a tall overdrive gear? Cost is hardly an issue at all.

Out of curiosity, what kind of car do you have? I am not aware of any with a 5.7L engine and a 6spd trans.

bernse,

Ironic, given that it used to be made in Canada…

<cue Final Jeopardy music>

Another clue, the same manufacturer will continue to make a car with virtually the same 5.7 liter engine and a very similar six-speed. Of course, the remaining car will cost about 20K more than mine did, and have two less seats…

Car pool.

Telecommute.

Turn the thermostat down.

Turn the lights off when not in use.

Need more…? There’s plenty more where those came from… :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t drive at all.

Re the OP, Beagle, my car has a 1.5 litre engine and it’s sporty, My other car has a 600cc engine.

Get a smaller car. or as Matt_mcl suggested don’t drive at all.

Personally I think that turning off lights, tvs etc when they are not being used eg you’re in another room. is a simple, non disruptive way of saving energy.
Turning down the heat is another way. In Ireland, you don’t have a problem with needing aircon.

Beagle,

Ahhh… an F-Body. Of course.

Every time I looked at this thread’s title on the list I thought it had something to do with cutting down on “olive oil dependency.”

And I thought, Who needs less of that in their lives? Especially if you’ve got a whole lot of garlic as well.

Emily Littella, white courtesy phone. Miss Emily Littella…