Simple way to remove air from potable water lines?

We added a WaterRight air injectionsystem to remove a horrible amount of sulphur in our well water. It works fantastically well (heh), but there’s one very small, very first-world, but nonetheless very vexing problem.

Our icemaker freezes the cubes too fast for the water to release the air. We’ve had Samsung out a couple times to try and fix it at the fridge-side to no avail. The cloudy, air-filled icecubes are too weak to be moved by the auger, so no matter what setting we have we end up with a morass of ice chips and fractured, pitiful cubes. Told you it was a small problem, but when you want one or two ice cubes for a glass of Scotch, it’s a Big Fucking Deal.

This isn’t a problem if the water can sit for a minute or two to let the air escape. I can access the line between the sink and the fridge; is there any way of letting the air out? I can certainly add a small tank under there, but how do I let out the air without letting out the pressure?

Sort of expensive, but you might consider putting an RO filter in-line.
These use the water pressure to force water through a membrane, where it drips out the other side, at very low pressure. The water than fills an accumulator at just enough pressure to dispense it.

That is an expensive way out–I’m looking at prices in the $150 range. Any way of buying parts without worrying about the filtration aspect? (Except for the sulphur issue, the water is incredibly clean, soft, and loveable.)

You could try to pipe it up to the hot water line. Hot water holds a lot less gas than cold water.

If you’re at all handy you could get some poly tubing and a saddle valve* from home depot and run a line from before the air-injection system over to the fridge. That would seem to be the easiest way to fix this. If it’s just taste you’re worried about, I’m guessing you would have too much of an issue with it in the ice since such a small amount of it melts in your beverage.
*I mention poly tubing only because it’s so much easier to work with than copper. But copper pipe, copper tubing, whatever the method, I’m just suggesting getting a feed from before the system.

Of course, now that I think about it, if you get your drinking water from the fridge as well, that kind of negates putting the system in to begin with.

I wonder if just putting in a pressure regulator turned down to a few PSI would work.

I see many portable ice makers on most retailer websites in the 100 to 200 dollar range. Would that work for you ? While you are at it, boil the water before putting it in the ice maker and you’ll get nearly clear ice.

That might not work if the ice maker valve opens and closes based on a timer. If that’s the case, he’d end up with much smaller ice cubes.

Although, I’m surprised that a minute or two makes a difference. I’m not doubting that you have an issue, I’m just surprised that the water actually freezes that fast.

If you want your whisky chilled only, buy some whisky rocks to freeze. If you want the dilution provided by ice and only want “nice” cubes for your whisky, cheapest fix is buy ice cube trays for your whisky ice.

Do you have a pressure tank in your water system? There are air release valves/vents designed to handle problems like yours, and they’re not expensive. Some seem to be intended for hot water heating systems, but water is water… They mount at the high point of the system where air would naturally float up to.

Run a line from the hot water, like Bill Door suggests. Once you get the air out of solution, it shouldn’t go back in very quickly.

Make the line long enough (coil it, if necessary) so that it holds at least one batch of ice so that it can cool off (so you aren’t trying to freeze hot water; it really doesn’t freeze faster and it will cause you frost-up even a frost-free freezer). Make sure that if you use poly tubing that it is rated for the temperature of your hot water.