Since when do deliberate insults merit just a note?

He wasn’t moderated enough.

If I called an actual racist poster a racist in GD, as a pure descriptor not “intended as an insult”, I would get warned for it, no ifs or buts. So I’ve been led to believe by the moderators in multiple ATMB threads.

Yes.

That’s why I wrote a whole OP to go along with it…

It was deliberate, and it was (by long-standing convention in GD) an insult, so my title was nevertheless accurate.

That’s not a general principle I want (although using other posters who are actually present and opposing you in that thread as objects for your sarcasm might be too much always)

Fwiw, i certainly felt insulted. Maybe I’m just slow, but i ran across the accusation, and read it carefully to understand what the objection was, and then realized he had intentionally insulted me over absolutely nothing to make a rhetorical point.

(A point I’d already dealt with, as MrDibble mentions.)

It’s unpleasant being insulted. I was pretty annoyed.

Yeah, this is the bit that rankles most for me. It was so … unnecessary? Extra?

It screamed “Look at me! I’m so clever” while simultaneously disproving that thesis by its very existence.

Not sure what to say outside of I don’t see a need for a warning in this case.

Not even when you fellow mod says they were also insulted by the same cheap tactic?

No warning means they, or someone else, is going to pull the same shit in a week or two. Warnings still have gravitas.

Honestly she should have flagged it if so.

And I have the option of issuing a warning next time.

And if she flags it now? Why does she need to, when her post in this thread should have the same effect?

There’s such a thing as being proactive. Nip things in the bud, as it were.

Well, you’ve at least answered the question in the thread, they should respond by acting as though they’ve been deliberately insulted and act accordingly. That’s a good thing to have cleared up.

Only when it’s screamingly obvious that that’s what their accuser is doing, as in this case. As was already dealt with in that thread. But you knew that.

I added that because I want the community to understand that even though rhetorical, it was a real insult that stings like any other insult. Not because I think What_Exit should have reacted more strongly.

And yes, it was freaking unpleasant to read.

I should have flagged it, but I’m grateful that someone else noticed and that it was moderated quickly and explicitly. But I like to think that mod notes have gravitas, too.

Considering how often posters over-react to modnotes, I would say they usually do.

Though I feel like the over-reactions have diminished greatly to be fair.

FWIW, I think the note will serve it’s purpose. I don’t recall Isamu being problematic about racism. To tell the truth, I didn’t really understand the point of a couple of the posts he made in that thread. His first post and the fact that he linked to the same thread made it seem a bit like drunk posting.

Yep, no need to leap to warnings immediately in most cases of personal. Many seem to draw mod notes.

They should and they do. As What_Exit pointed out, many people flip over a mod note and don’t seen to differentiate between the two.

And now I have to apologize to What_Exit because I always put a “?” after your name and now I see there isn’t one. Did you used to have a question mark on the old board? So sorry about that, I must have done it 50 times. Insert :embarrassedfaceemojithatwedon’thave:

It shouldn’t matter. If this kind of thing is allowed to slide, then it sets a precedent that you can flippantly call someone racist if you do it with an ironic wink.

It’s truly a boon for the faction of people who like to dilute the very concept of racism by pretending it’s an overused joke, or enjoy deploying the whatabout reversal of “actually, you’re the real racist for pointing out racism.”

I lost the ? in the transition to Discourse. I still have it though if you check my profile.

So no need to apologize.

I don’t see the issue here. There was an insult and it was modded. I’ve seen insults met with mod notes in the past, I’m not aware of any rule that an insult always draws an immediate warning, and if that’s a rule it is one that isn’t always followed. Based on the replies in this thread from moderators it seems like that isn’t the rule or custom. I agree that calling it a “joke” might have been poorly phrased but otherwise the response seems appropriate.

That’s a load of bull. I’ve never received a warning on SDMB but I’ve been noted a handful of times and each time it stung. Those notes certainly had “gravitas” and I don’t think I’ve been noted for the same thing twice because the notes immediately curbed my behavior and I learned to not do that again. (A couple of times I even semi-noted myself; they happened when I realized soon after that I’d made a mistake and it was too late to edit my post, so I apologized even before the note came, and each time knew I deserved the note.)

From what I’ve observed, warnings for insults usually come when it’s a pattern of behavior and/or something the poster was previously warned about, or it was something particular egregious. Most of the time a note is sufficient to remind a person or people that they aren’t in the Pit and that kind of language isn’t acceptable in that forum. (Or that it’s one of those unacceptable insults in the Pit.)

I soundly reject the idea that mod notes are ineffective. They’re highly effective. They might not always work, but then again warnings sometimes don’t work either which is one reason why people get banned eventually.

It must have taken an early exit on the way to Discourse.

But it wasn’t allowed to slide. He received a mod note for it. I know I don’t want to have mods go direct to warnings.

How is it a boon? They got noted, if it occurs again they will draw a warning, and if they keep it up they will probably get banned. Just like it’s always been except it’s generally quicker now.

Exactly. This seems the normal way of doing things here.

Same for me, but I also feel embarrassed sometimes. Even if I didn’t think I was in the wrong.

Right, and as I said above I’m not aware of Isamu having a history of notes or warnings. That’s why I wondered if he was drinking. However, the mods know and would act differently if it was called for.

You never want to get off on the wrong exit in Jersey. There’s a good chance you’ll never be heard from again. Between interrupting mobsters burying bodies and meeting up with The Jersey Devil, it’s just not safe to wander around away from your home turf.

I recently returned from South Africa, taking the United non-stop flight from JNB to Newark. It was just before they introduced flight restrictions, and there was considerable uncertainty about what might happen. We took the view that if we were required to quarantine in Newark for 10 days, it would be the same as any other stay in Newark - under no circumstances do you leave your hotel rooom.

Hey, Newark isn’t that bad. It’s nice at the … um, well, um, OK, Newark is pretty crappy. At least it isn’t Camden.

My only warning was for a similar rhetorical trick.

We were discussing whether a teenager with severe developmental delays ought to be able to wear a varsity jacket that they hadn’t earned but that made them happy. I suggested that there was no harm in allowing someone with severe developmental delays to wear it. Shodan sarcastically suggested that he was going to get some sort of unearned award.

And then I messed up: I rejoined that Shodan was very good at hiding his severe developmental delays (with the implication that obviously he didn’t have any such delays, so his sarcastic suggestion was completely off-point).

The mods just saw my suggestion that he had developmental delays, and warned me for the insult. I thought then, and still think, it was a bogus warning, but whatever: my communication was apparently not clear enough, so that’s on me.

Isamu is making a similar sarcastic point: his point only works if he doesn’t think you’re racist, in the same way that mine only worked if I didn’t think Shodan was developmentally delayed. Isamu’s point is really absurd, of course, but it was a flip and deeply unserious assertion that you’re racist, and I’m happy that mods can distinguish between actual assertions and ones that are made in service of a broader point (even when, again, that broader point is absurd).