Sir Ian McKellen has performed the impossible.

Except for the audience, who realizes they’ve been rooting for the bad guy during the whole thing and now he’s dead!

Y’all should have seen my roommate and I watching that McKellen/Dench version of Macbeth – it was like we were rabid (American) football fans watching the Superbowl, complete with cheering, loud exclamations, instant replays (“Holy crap! Did he just wink?! Back that puppy up … Look! There! A wink!!”), and mmmmmm those monologues he throws at the camera … my upstairs neighbor must’ve wondered what the HELL we were doing making so much noise at that hour of the night.

Nothing to do with anything, but a friend of mine is a close friend of Sir Ian and from all reports, he is a really down to earth guy with a great sense of humor. He also does a lot of theater for almost no money simply because he loves doing it, and can afford to do it thanks to the films he has done.
P.S. to Lord Of The Rings fans:
He loved doing the films, is proud of his work, and feels if nothing else he has done remains popular, that trilogy will keep his name alive for generations after he dies.

Ian’s take on Richard III was excellent.

I was so glad to find that it was cheap on DVD.

pravnik and Colibri: Mr. Pug has indeed seen at least bits and pieces of both Throne of Blood and Ran, and since he loves Kurosawa, he loved these movies. It might be that his relaxing of his attitude toward Shakespeare started when I pointed out that both movies were derived from Shakespeare. Doesn’t it speak volumes about Bill’s ability as a dramatist when his plays translate so well into a radically different culture?

Dragonblink, I was reacting nearly the same way to Macbeth. The scene where he sees Banquo’s ghost was actually quite shocking, with Sir Ian foaming at the mouth in horror; it gave me goosebumps. I have to admit, though, that I had vivid memories of the very first episode of Blackadder, when Edmund screamed in terror at the sight of the ghost of Richard III (Peter Cook) at the banquet table!

And more’s the pity for it, too. That version of Much Ado About Nothing is good…except for Keanu. “I’m a bad guy, so I must scowl. And maybe try pitifully for some bad-guyness while saying my lines. But mostly scowl.” Bah.

The Richard Burton 1960s film of Marlowe’s FAUSTUS is… interesting- uneven & overwrought in many places but whoever portrayed Mephisopheles was excellent. I loved it when I was a horror-movie obsessed kid; when I rented it about seven years ago, I wasn’t too disappointed but it didn’t hold up that well.

It’s worth a watch for some excellent moments- and campy fun.

Wait 'til he sees Anthony Hopkins in Titus. :slight_smile:

For your husband, I’d also recommend the Richard Burton - Elizabeth Taylor movie of Taming of the Shrew.

My ex actually saw the stage production of Hamlet that had Keanu in the title role.

Most reviwers were charitable enough to say things along the lines of “he said all the right words in the right order.” However my ex said that the weakest link of the play wasn’t Keanu, but the woman who played Ophelia! She was SO bad, and SO annoying that you could hear the audience sputter, huff, puff, and sigh in disgust every time she walked onstage! Looking around, she said that dozens of people were rolling their eyes every time the woman started to speak.

So Keanu actually started to get audience sympathy because the audience felt sorry for the actor. He was trying so hard and was stymied when the director did things like have him sit still on a staircase during the “to be or not to be” monologue, while that fingernails-on-a-blackboard-annoying Ophelia wandered around the stage.

Otherwise, he said all the right words in the right order.

That version of MAAN is brilliant, I really enjoy it, but Keanu does indeed suck.

Actually, I think Michael Keaton comes closer to ruining the movie than Keanu does, since Keanu’s role isn’t really written to tax his abilities (I mean, really, Don John isn’t much more than a plot device). Although Ben Elton as Keaton’s hapless sidekick is a lot of fun… :wink:

Are you serious? WOW-that’s so cool! Ian McKellen ROCKS. Lucas should have seen about putting him in the prequels-he would have made the best Jedi Knight!

He was, without a doubt, the BEST Nicholas II I’ve ever seen (Rasputin, the Dark Servant). Including Omar Sharif-who did a fantastic job in a crappy miniseries. (Sharif, however, doesn’t look enough like Nicky to have really nailed the part, even though he got the Tsar’s personality down pat).

McKellen WAS the Tsar, and he and Alan Rickman (Rasputin) were great together.

Actually…I can’t believe I forgot to link to this. All I have to say is “W00t!” :wink:

Sounds cool…but who the hell will McKellen play? The Duke? Seems like a waste to cast him as anybody other than Shylock… I’m sure I’ll watch anyway, though.

I’m guessing he’d be Antonio, actually…I could see that.

That makes more sense… I think he’s kind of old for the part, though.

I am amazingly, astoundingly, insanely jealous of your friend.

I rather liked Keaton in that myself. Over the top or not, it was fun. Most of the actors turned in fine performances, IMO. But Keanu’s scowl’n’speak really got on my nerves. A greater variety of facial expressions is all I really ask for.

Get out of OC and back to LA.
After you live there for awhile, the law of averages lets you meet a lot of people in television and films.

That said, most are really quite ordinary folk. But Gene (the friend of Sir Ian) met him at a party years ago and they just laughed a lot and kept in touch. I remember Gene first telling me that Ian was going to be in LOTR and I was so impressed…Gene laughed and said, “after all the Shakespeare he has done, THAT impresses you?”
“Yep.”
“Why?”
“Everybody has, and will do, Shakespeare. Only one cast will most likely ever have the chance to do LOTR.”

Quoth Miller:

I’ve heard it said that Shakespeare was the Steven Spielberg of his day. OK, so maybe Spielberg isn’t as talanted, but the point is that old Bill was in the business of producing entertainment for the people. Sometimes it’s dramatic, sometimes it’s slapstick, sometimes it’s blood and gore, but his goal is always to entertain. He most assuredly was not writing so that some stuffy old men in a windowless office could hyperanalyze every place he put a comma.

And people haven’t changed much in a few hundred years. What entertained folks then, still entertains folks now.