Sir Mix-A-Lot in Latin?!?

I found this on Fark, and it really made my day, it’s just so silly! Someone has actually taken the time to translate I Like Big Butts by Sir Mix-A-Lot into Latin. I just had to share.

This link goes straight to my Latin professor.

New sig!!!

It would be nice if it was direct translation, instead of idiomatic, but it was still rather funny :slight_smile:

I’m gonna scare the hell outta my friends now that I can do that song in two languages…

Well, it would be rather difficult to translate the song directly. I think the author did a fine job at it.

Looking back, I retract my statement. He could’ve been much more direct.

Still funny, though!

By the immortal gods, I revelled in hilarity until deprived of my glutii maximi.

Back in my wilder undergraduate days, a friend and I translated all kinds of things into Latin. One was the “Where, o where are you tonight” song from Hee-Haw. Another was “Light My Fire”. Boy, what a rowdy bunch we were. I can still remember the look on our professors’ face as we misused the subjunctive repeatedly and without remorse.

Heh. I tried to translate The Hobbit into Latin once, in a fit of insanity. I got about a paragraph in. :wink:

I’m not sure if I still have a copy – it started “In cavum in terram vivebat hobbitus…

And that link is brilliant. :smiley:

In 8th grade we learned how to sing “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer” in Latin.

I am very sorry I don’t mean to be picky, but the name of the song is Baby Got Back, not I Like Big Butts.

You’re right, of course. That line is the line that I always get stuck in my head, so I got it confused with the title.

Hi-freakin’-larious.

Is it just me or has this song seen a mysterious resurgence lately? I’m hearing it more and more.

On a slightly different note. Are you Latin lovers aware that there is a published Latin version of The Cat in the Hat available. I got it for my son a couple of years ago.

FYI, there is also a Latin translation of “Winnie the Pooh” by A. A. Milne titled, “Waeni(sp) ille Pu”

There is also Virent Ova! Viret Perna!! (that’s Green Eggs and Ham), and Harrius Potter et Philosophi Lapis (Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone). I assume that the spells are plays on Greek words.