Sister needs help fast re: recovery of edited document

“Apparently, like a total DUMB BUTT, I didn’t do a save as when I opened the Word doc from an e-mail, I just did save. I’ve tried searching for the file name, looking in temporary files, etc., but it is nowhere to be found. Please help before I hurt my computer, myself, or someone else. Love, your sister.”

She’s using Windows Live Mail…any suggestions??? It’s a huge file and edit she did.

If it helps, she’s using Windows 7…

When you open a Word doc from an email, does it open Word itself? If so, open Word again and try looking for “recently-opened documents”. Many programs present the names of the last few documents opened on the menu somewhere. (I don’t have Word on this machine, so can’t point you more precisely.) If the Word doc opens from the email into some other program, perhaps that will have a list of recently-opened documents.

An additional thought: might Windows Live Mail have saved the document back up to the cloud? Is there still an attachment on the message, and is it the original unedited document or the edited document?

or a wildcard search for .doc or .docx files look for ones saved about the right time.

Thanks, guys. None of these have worked, though…Still looking…

Libraries | Documents?

When I do this, I reopen the document from the email, do a Save As, and see what path it’s trying to save to. Usually I can find the other file in the same path and just get there via My Computer. It’s usually some temp file, but really convoluted to find.

We found an earlier version in: c:\users[name]\appdata\roaming\microsoft\word

That was 4 hours before the final save. We found a temp file 1 hour before the last save that was corrupted.

Thanks for the help…

[quote=“jtgain, post:9, topic:626527”]

We found an earlier version in: c:\users[name]\appdata\roaming\microsoft\word

That was 4 hours before the final save. We found a temp file 1 hour before the last save that was corrupted.

Thanks for the help…[/QUO
Dear Jtgain

Don’t worry if your word is corrupted just use a data recovery software to recover your word data there are so may third party data recovery software one of them is Kernel for word repair try this it can help you.