Skin colored deoderant for people of color

What did people of colors other than beige do before clear deoderant/anti-perspirant came along? I imagine it’s more of an issue for women; were there any alternatives available, or did you just have to put up with white underarms? Sorry this is so awkwardly worded. Hope it makes sense.

Are you assuming that all deodorants/antiperspirants were white, and that clear products came along later? I’m not sure that’s accurate. And it wasn’t that many generations ago since nobody used deodorant at all.

Sprays were common (slight, white powder residue).

Then you had roll-ons with the giant ballpoint-pen-looking thing and its slight, white powder residue.

Then you had clear sticks, clear gels, and the clear-drying sticks that started white.

My skin isn’t white, yet I am Caucasian, so it pretty much sucked for everyone until they all started to go on clear and/or stay clear – well, everyone except those super-white whiteys. Bastards.

I just used white. I never even thought about it. It’s not like it shows up white for more than five minutes! Does it? It absorbs into your skin. I mean as Philster says, even white people aren’t generally snow-white.

Granted, I didn’t really start using deodarant until about…oh, 1987 or so. I clearly remember using the white stick (Secret) for a while. The bigger problem was that it stained my clothes and not so much my skin. I love the clear stuff, plus the gel stuff feels better.

Wikipedia tells me that modern antiperspirant first appeared in the early '40s. I don’t think a lot of women in the '40s or even the '50s were wearing sleeveless dresses or tops on a regular basis, so the color of the deodorant residue wouldn’t have mattered much.

Sometimes I think I’m the only person on the board who still remembers the 1950s. Okay, here’s a fast lesson.

Way back when, deodorants came in either liquid or cream. Liquids generally came with pads, which you dabbed under your armpits. Deodorant creamwas white or off-white, but the color faded when it was rubbed into the skin

After that came roll-on deodorant. This was considered progress, because you didn’t get your hands dirty. The liquid in the roll-on was still clear.

The disadvantage to these products was that they went on wet and took time to dry. You had to build time into your dressing schedule to allow for this. Science finally defeated this crippling inconvenience by developing powder and dry-stick deodorants, but the point is, there have always been clear deodorants available.

I guess I must have had a completely different experience, then. Even most of the so called invisible ones left a visible residue under my arms, no matter how long I let it dry. Maybe I was over-applying. Anyway, I’m a huge sweat-er and the only thing that even remotely works for me is Secret Clinical strength. So, no, I wasn’t aware that “invisible” ones had always been around. Plus, I wasn’t born until 67, so I’m late to that party! :slight_smile:

I don’t know about the 40s, but sleeveless tops were extremely popular in the 50s.

Sprays or liquids to mask odor have been around a lot longer than white solids or gel.

I have noticed over the years that a lot of people still wear (thickly applied, visible) white deod. But really, chunks of deod in a dark brown armpit are not much more noticeable than in a tan or beige armpit. It’s not a consideration for some people.